1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dave Kindred on Twitter

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jan 28, 2011.

1. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Thanks for the insight, LW.

I'm sure it's important for a Chicago-area paper that staffed five writers to get that story. No doubt. That was an incorrect generalization on my part.

Nor am I against the use of social media as a reporting tool. I use it all the time.

But I agree with Kindred that underqualifiied sources were overused, and many columnists and talking heads used their quotes without proper context.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Do you make a habit of checking twitter feeds of random NFL players during games to see their reaction to the game? Is this regular practice? Okay, so why was this specific case reported when others weren't?

The answer people want to give is that this case was unique, but I somehow doubt it. I'm sure this isn't the first time an NFL player has spouted off on Twitter. This was just a case of reporters jumping on something because it was handed to them, and it fit the story they wanted to write.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Because it was the NFC Championship Game.

Besides, plenty of Twitter spout-offs have been reported prior to this.

Look at all the fall out right now with the UF kid and his Twitter posts.

4. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Actually, I have reported on players' twitter comments before, but in the NHL -- which is my regular beat.

We'll agree to disagree on your second paragraph. But I believe it to be completely incorrect.

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Hey, what's your favorite NFL team, again?

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The Bears. If it wasn't, I'm pretty sure I'd have the same opinion on the subject, I just wouldn't care enough to post so frequently on the subject.

7. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

My biggest problem with reporting Tweets is how does the reporter or columnist know the Tweets are genuine? Probably 99 percent of the time the Tweet is from actual athlete. But what happens if someone else Tweets something critical or defamatory under an athlete's handle? What if MJD wasn't the one Tweeting about Cutler during the NFC championship game? The reporter has no way of knowing unless he's in the room while the athlete is Tweeting.
    that said, I think athlete Tweets are fun to read. The ones I follow are great, be it during a race or a round of golf or even visiting a new city.

8. It seems to me that negative Tweets fall under the old "if it bleeds - it leads" category.

I can't recall any positive Tweets about a player performance leading SportsCenter.

Call me cynical but I wonder if any columnists had their "When the going gets tough - quit" leads were blown by Maurice Jones Drew's Tweet.

9. Twitter has something called a verified account ... I would think no journalist would quote a tweet from an account that's not verified.

10. That may be true but I'd guess that some columns have been sparked by comments by FakeAlDavis and JonGrudensPenis

11. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

That, and verified tweets are like press releases. They may be written by the account holder's flack, friends, ect., but they are still accountable for what's written.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

In the immortal words of Jeannie Bueller, dry that one out, you can fertilize the lawn.

Draft saved Draft deleted