1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dave Kindred now writing about high school girls' basketball team

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Feb 13, 2015.

1. snuffy2

snuffy2 Member

Who couldn't love a peanut spread of 'writers dunking down on JV girls teams where the movie ends with their half-court lard asses on the sports floor and the gals walking past just getting on with their lives.

2. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

3. Tim Sullivan

Tim Sullivan Member

Reading Dave Kindred's pieces on the Morton Potters should be a requirement for every aspiring sportswriter. They reveal how much you can find if you pay careful attention to what's going on right in front of you, and how any assignment -- be it ever so humble -- deserves and benefits from careful attention. Better to fail, "trying to write better than I can," as Red Smith put it, than to mail one in because the subject matter feels mundane.

Ace likes this.
  4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

A good read, YF, down to the final tips on keeping the mustache golden.

And Dave, if you're checking in, hope it's been another fun basketball season in western Illinois.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Thanks for digging this up YF, got overwhelmed by other things in my Twitter feed. Noobs, this is how its done.

7. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

Yep, the girls won a third straight state championship. They're 100-8 in that time. I've done a column on my FB page after every game. Good exercise for anybody tired of hype.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Enjoyed the interview. Great advice for youngsters in paying attention and looking for something that hasn't happened before.

Anyone can write a game story that says Jan Doe score 22 points to lead the Podunk Plodders. But if you can find what makes this game different from the 15 other games that Jane Doe led the Plodders in scoring, you may have something.

Draft saved Draft deleted