1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

dave kindred, a class act

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by shockey, Feb 23, 2007.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

just wanted to give a shout out to the SportsJournalists.com fave, who was among 200 or so in attendance for jerry izenberg's retirement bash last night. good friend mike vaccaro made it, too, flying back from spring training just in time to make it. good time had by all, from what i could tell. :) :) :)

2. Sorry I wasn't there.
    I'm always honored to be in Jerry's -- and Dave's -- company.
    Thanks, shock.

3. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

Thanks, Shock.....

I'd go anywhere for Jerry....he helped me in more ways than he could know when I did the Ali-Cosell book....he's well represented in the book, with great anecdotes from his time with both men, but what I needed most, and got from him at every step of the way, was encouragement that I tell the Ali story the way it happened, not the way everyone wished it had happened....at one point, he even said, "Dave, if they sue you, I'll testify for you -- and I'll perjure myself if necessary!".....can't ask more from anybody than that!!!

My favorite moment of the night came when Jerry gave thanks to those in attendance. He acknowledged, seated together at one table, the old heavyweights Gerry Cooney, once a contender, and Chuck Wepner, the Bayonne Bleeder, famous for going 15 with Ali and becoming Stallone's model for Rocky Balboa. Jerry said, "And I want to thank Chuck Wepner for not bleeding all over Gerry."

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Sadly, I heard that Ali was not in attendance.
    Considering he has trekked to NJ to show up at a few of Jerry's Project Pride fund-raisers, I take this to mean The Champ might be limitting his travel even more. Not a good sign.
    Any further info, Dave?

5. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

Ali has trouble walking at all now....walkers and wheelchairs....so not only would it be hard for him to get to West Orange, the people making decisions for him now make them more often on financial bases than on friendships....

6. Pete Wevurski

Pete Wevurski Member

Damn ... Wish I had known. Would've loved to have been there, too. Was it a surprise gathering? Spoke with Jerry a few weeks ago and he never mentioned it.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

no, pete, it had been in the works for at least a month. would've been great to have had you there.

8. Good stuff on Jerry's party.

Thanks for sharing.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

oh, that's right. i guess that makes me a retirement crasher. ;D

10. c culpepper

c culpepper New Member

If ever I do grow up, I'm hoping to become exactly like Mr. Kindred.

It does kind of floor you when someone you long admire from afar turns up somehow better in person.

Draft saved Draft deleted