1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dave Duncan vs. KFNS

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Cosmo, Mar 29, 2008.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/columnists.nsf/dancaesar/story/F718DEC49F3034868625741B000F65F6?OpenDocument

Found this interesting, dealing with the gray area of what is on and off the record. Who's in the right on this one?

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Slaten is a scumbag for doing it, but I doubt Duncan has any legal recourse.

3. Cameron Frye

Cameron Frye Member

Actually, he does. Broadcasting the call probably violated an FCC rule -

http://tinyurl.com/23cp9c

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Seems like an enumerated, but unenforced rule. Otherwise, wouldn't every radio shock jock who makes prank calls be subject to FCC penalties?

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

They are. You cannot call people and put them on the air without their consent.

Sometimes they'll pre-tape the call and get consent after the fact. That's legal because the consent is acquired before the call actually airs.

Based on this transcript, the guy identfied himself as "Whoever from whatever station." It does not appear he made it clear to Duncan that he was on the air.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Well then let Duncan sue, or report the station for an FCC violation. I'd be willing to bet money nothing comes of it, though.

7. Magnum

Magnum Member

I read the story and I read the FCC statute and I still don't think Duncan has a case.

At most, the radio station might be fined, right? But that doesn't mean Duncan is necessarily entitled to anything.

8. Cameron Frye

Cameron Frye Member

I don't know if Duncan has any personal recourse, but the FCC does enforce this rule, to the tune of a $4,000 fine.

9. Those kinds of calls rarely happen anymore, at least on the large corporate-owned stations (i.e. almost all of them). These are relatively recent changes to rules about phone calls. Or, at least, they are enforced more now than they had been in the past.

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Total dick move by this clown.

11. NightOwl

NightOwl Guest

Agree with that.

I like this line a lot:

KFNS (590 AM, 100.7 FM) refused to provide a tape of the interview, but the Post-Dispatch obtained it via other means.

"Other means." Gotta love that.

Nice job, Dan Caesar. A great guy if you've never met him, by the way.

My question is this: If Dave Duncan is such a great pitching coach, as we keep hearing every year, then why do the Cardinals have such massive pitching problems every year? Mostly with the arm injuries. Goes back 15 years at least, almost every season.

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

It's a reflexive move by stations that like to sling shit and be sensational. That station sure isn't unique in that manner.

And most any team is going to have injured pitchers. The Orioles have had plenty. So have the Yankees and A's and Cubs and Dodgers and Marlins and so on. Some of it is age, some of it is misuse by idiotic managers, and some of it is just dumb luck. It's far from unique to the Cardinals.

Draft saved Draft deleted