1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dave Dombrowski: Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Jake from State Farm, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Ricky, Barrow, Weiss, Both McPhails, Schuerholz and Gillick

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

OK
    I think some of those guys were controlling owners for part of their tenures, but ok. Dombrowski probably ranks in the bottom half of that group.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'd rather go with a Billy Beane who innovated despite pushback. Did they win a trophy? No - but I don't know if you can put a GM in unless they are responsible for the acquisition and development of multiple teams, or significant innovations. How is Dick Wagner not in?

4. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Dombrowski might have worked in a way you don’t approve of, but in this day of prospect hoarding, he used the farm system as a way to acquire talent
    Miguel Cabrera for Andrew Miller and Cameron Maybin sounds lopsided now
    At the time, Miller and Maybin were the Tigers top two prospects, heralded No. 1 picks
    Trading Curtis Granderson for Max Scherzer worked pretty well, too
    Dombrowski has a hand in developing four championship caliber teams. How many more would he have to build to satisfy you?

Draft saved Draft deleted