1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

dave collins piece

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SheaSeals, May 14, 2007.

1. SheaSeals

SheaSeals Member

JC, if you read the fuckin' article you'd understand. I suggest you go back to school (if you ever went to school) and learn to read a sports story.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

OK, Shea, I've read the damn story 3 times...I still have no idea what your point is other than some of it is very poorly written.
    Is that all there is to this thread or is there some deep hidden meaning I'm missing here?
    Meanwhile, kudos to our Canuckistanis for making this useless thread thoroughly enjoyable. It's what I've come to expect from Jones and Friend et al.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Who do you guys think is a better first-round pick? Augie Schmidt or Matt Starke? I think we're set at short and behind the plate for a decade.

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I don't get 90 percent of the references on this thread, but it's still making me giggle.

And SheaSeals, instead of talking in circles about what we SHOULD be seeing, why not just fucking say it?

5. Jones

Jones Active Member

So long as Fernandez doesn't break his elbow on a seam in the AstroTurf, you're right, Huggy.

We're set at short until they build some giant egg-shaped stadium with a retractable roof on the old railyards... Yeah, right.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

That'll never happen, Jonesy. Not that I think we'll ever get a new stadium, but if we do I think they'll build it out by Woodbine Racetrack. Nobody builds stadiums or arenas downtown anymore.

7. SheaSeals

SheaSeals Member

The story represents not merely Cliff Johnson's 57th RBI, but—I believe—exemplifies the inner-workings of the Toronto organization to this day. I thought it was obvious.

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Holy Christ.

9. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Hey Mr Seals,

Whadda you want from me? I'm no big sportswriter or anything. I'm just the doorman at the Shamrock Tavern on Coxwell. Y'know, it's a country'n'welfare bar. Yeah, buddy, you don't want to know what it's like working there during a beer strike. It's gonna be a long summer. We almost had a riot when we sold the last bottle of Old Milwaukee (LCBO issue). I'm the one freakin' doorman and all-liquor crowd ('cept for the glue sniffers) and we seat 299 of the unwashed souls. The Jays are just my only escape, okay. I think they're close to breaking through if they just make a couple of right moves.

Is there anybody else out there that thinks the Jays have to find a way to get Ron Shepherd into the line-up? That guy is a gazelle.

They hype this Fernandez guy. What's with his legs? Last time I saw someone walking like that, it was beside Whipper Billy Watson at a fundraiser.

YHS, etc

10. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr Huggy,

Oh yeah, Matt Starke. The Jays are set at catcher for ten years.

Why hasn't Garry Harris made this Fernandez guy trade bait? I like Fred and all--how he gets a piece of the ROY I dunno. Long term, can't mention him in the same breath as John Castino, for my money. But I remember when Harris was drafted, this guy was supposed to be the future.

I'd go on, but I gotta run. It's hard when last call is 12:45 a.m. and I have to be there for a liquor delivery before lunch the next day. Believe me, there's no Irish whiskey. Special Old, that's about it.

Oh and if they do build a stadium out at Woodbine, so be it. Just as long as they don't tear down Greenwood. Not like horse racing could ever die in the East End of T.O. But if that track shut down the Shamrock's waiters would lose a couple of dozen nickel-tippers.

YHS, etc

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Lou Thornton can wheel too. That guy will be a major stud with the Jays.

The 1985 beer strike forced me to resort to buying Genessee out of the back door of the LCBO.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

WTF?

Draft saved Draft deleted