1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dave Chappelle’s “The Closer”

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Oct 13, 2021.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I’m sure you think you’re making some big gotcha point here, but I haven’t the faintest idea what it is. Feel free to make your actual point.

2. bigpern23

I answered the question that was asked and gave no value judgment.

But again, I’m not interested in explaining the show.

3. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Point is you made a general statement. You have applied the same statement to movies critics. So I took your statement and applied it to a different comedian. I didn't put words in your mouth. I applied your own statement to a different situation to show the inanity of your logic. You're coming across as a Chappelle fanboy who isn't happy people have called him out and want to discount their criticism in whatever way you can. And that's not putting words in your mouth. That's my take on how you look. Have a wonderful rest of your day.

4. bigpern23

What people? I’m speaking with you, specifically.

You're coming across as a know-nothing, talk-radio caller, reveling in ignorance while getting offended by, and railing against, something you haven't watched, and expecting the host to tell you it was a "good take." That's my take on how you look.

Your false equivalency between a 90-minute comedy routine and a racist rant that interrupted a comedy routine would have gotten you a failing grade in Philosophy 101.

I literally posted this thread because I was curious to read the reactions, good or bad, from a generally smart group of (mostly) writers who have seen it. My very first post mentioned the same point I’ve made over and over, so I’m not sure why you think I’m so unhappy to be “called out” that I’m trying to discount your criticism. I wanted to read the criticism, because I think there’s plenty to be made. I discounted uninformed criticism in the very first post.

Anyway, I look forward to ignoring your next scathing criticism of a film you haven’t seen on the Last Movie You Didn't Watch But Really Hated thread.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
  5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

One of our society's big problems the last few years is confusing 'free speech' with 'consequence-free speech.'

7. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

You invited the criticism, and then continued to discount it. You thought you'd show how your position was better. All you showed was that you support a man who is bigoted toward the transgender community and that you have a horrible view that members of the transgender community can't have a valuable opinion unless they have experienced his abuse firsthand while also giving him support with their view.

And I knew you wouldn't think anything I said was a "good take." It was clear how you felt from the firs post. I could give a fuck. But your take is ridiculous. Discounting the views of a marginalized community because you think they didn't watch enough of it? Fuck that noise. You can call me ignorant, but that view is about as ignorant and backwards as it can possibly get. Have you even considered that you're expecting them to support the man who abused them with their views on Netflix? And if they haven't, their opinion is somehow less valid? Yeah, I'm the one come across as "reveling in ignorance." Definitely lol.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I'm a bit confused. Did Dave talk about LGBTQ throughout the show or is this still only about the Daphne story?

9. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

This is a good fight. What we used to get served around here before tweetspam.

Do carry on.

TigerVols and OscarMadison like this.
  10. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

It’s as if someone asked DC if Trans Lives Matter and he said All Lives Matter

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted