1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dave Chappelle’s “The Closer”

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Oct 13, 2021.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Nuance is a helluva drug.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I do think this shouldn't be a "for" or "against" Chappelle - but more about a deeper discussion about the content of the work in its entirety. I think the focus of the special was really cancel culture - and the controversy after the special broke kind of underlined his point. No matter what you think of Chappelle.

justgladtobehere and bigpern23 like this.
  3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Meh - most of the discourse I've seen online is in *defense* of Chappelle. It's also mostly from white guys, aged 30 to 50. I realize that's partially because of the places I'm at online - SJ.com, the Facebook group for The Rewatchables podcast, the Bill Simmons podcast subreddit - but excluding SJ.com, most people have decided to cape up for Dave, and his right to say "I'm team terf."

4. DanOregon

It always irritates me when a group demands "an end" of things they have no use for anyway, whether its guns, higher taxes, the end of a career of some celebrity they aren't a fan of in any event....easy to ask to for someone else to sacrifice something to make your world better. It also leads to really bad "conflicts" when people are put in the position of having to defend "something" that is indefensible. (Like saying you enjoy hunting and don't want to give up your guns after a mass shooting, or don't want to see a particular author's book banned).
    I'd love it if there was a rule that required a six-week period before any action could be taken after some outrage of the day. My guess is in most cases - the delay will differentiate the regular "daily outrage" from the behavior or action that truly requires remedy (Cuomo).

5. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Yes, it's awful to be outraged in the immediate aftermath of yet another mass killing. "Small" ones, fewer than five people or so, barely break into news anymore. But do hold your outrage for six weeks.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

This is the tactic of the NRA and other pro-gun advocates. Insist that no action should be taken quickly and hope everybody has moved on to the next distraction by the time the waiting period is up. No thanks.

Smallpotatoes and bigpern23 like this.
  7. DanOregon

I disagree - I think gun violence is clearly a problem, we can't even go six weeks without a "now is not the time...." blah, blah, blah, before another shooting. It's a problem so prevalent that it shows that something six weeks later it continues to resonate. Rather than something stirred up just for clicks.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Cancel culture is a Christian extremist term. any attempt to bring civility and decency to public discourse by pointing out dated and prejudiced actions and statements runs contrary to Christian extremist politics. Hate of others, those different from the Christian extremist, is the only discourse the right wingers allow. Violence against civility and morality is the hallmark of Christian extremism. We’ve seen that in Charlottesville, January 6 and the reactions to demonstrations against police brutality. What’s chappelle’s real point though, I am more of a victim than you are.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I get that you want that waiting period. Funny how the NRA wants a waiting period for people to take action when there is a shooting, but heaven forbid any individual have to wait to get a gun.

12. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

So, if your position is they can't offer thoughts on his views on transsexuals unless they see the whole special, I have couple of questions:

1) Does the view he expressed about transgender people somehow change later in the special?
    2) Why should a community that's attacked have to sit through an entire special after they've been attacked in it just so they can offer their opinions on his statement about their community?
    3) Had he been a white comedian who disparaged blacks, would you feel the same way, that a black person should have to watch a comedian's entire special after a racist joke that attacked them if they wanted to say that the white comedian was wrong?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
Draft saved Draft deleted