1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dave Barry: Grown-ups used to have fun

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 2, 2015.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

In a perverted way, that's how our foreign policy works.

No matter what, we'll invent SOMETHING over which to obsess and worry. On rare occasions (1941, 1962), the threat is real and must be dealt with. Most other times, we feel compelled to deal with shit 8,000 miles away that has no effect on Joe Six Pack living on Main Street USA. There always must be a ''threat'' for an administration to try to deal with and thus keep the people scared.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Not saying we took the proper course of action to deal with it. But 3,000 killed on American soil = "threat is real."

3. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

It seems like people are more scared now than they were 14 years ago.

4. BTExpress

And a main reason these people existed to do this damage is because we funded them and helped them fight 1980's boogeyman (the Soviets) a generation earlier. Which is kind of my point. We didn't NEED to do a damn thing 35 years ago. But our "Hey! Somebody's fighting the Russkies! We gotta help 'em out!" mantra got in the way of our better judgment ("Hey! They're fucking terrorists! The USSR should exterminate them.")

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

That sounds perilously close to 9/11 Trutherism.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sounds perilously closer to Orwell's 1984.

“One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship.”

7. BTExpress

Nah. Just another in a long list of the dangers of unintended consequences when you stick your nose where it doesn't belong (1953 Iran coup, etc.) because of shortsightedness and tunnel vision caused by obsessing about the boogeyman of the hour.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

One of the claims about getting involved with Vietnam was that the communists were killing priests. Catholicism was in danger!!

9. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Fixed? I said seemingly. I am quite aware that it is primarily publicity that has made the modern era seem more dangerous.

But, in fact, given that you have no idea where and when I grew up, you can't possibly know if it is safer or the same or more dangerous almost 40 years later.

10. BTExpress

And I was just highlighting the word for emphasis. Instead of "fixed" should have said "tweaked." No need to get bent out of shape.

Draft saved Draft deleted