1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dave Anderson retiring

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by gingerbread, Sep 15, 2007.

1. In 1988, I had an unexpected death in the family and had to fly back from the Olympics in Korea and then back to Seoul a few days later. First person I saw at the MPC was Dave.
    "How's everybody doing at home?" was the first thing he asked.
    Great, great man.

2. boots

boots New Member

Dave is what this business should be about. He came in an era when Jimmy Cannon was doing his thing and Dick Young was losing his damn mind. The learned but never forgot that he was a human being. That's what separated him from many other columnists. I can't begin to tell you the nice things he's done for me. I also can't begin to count the good advice that he told me.If he's leaving, my zest for the craft is leaving too.
    People like Dave and Edwin Pope and even Furman Bisher, make this business tolerable.i

3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I've got to admit, I scrolled down this thread with no small sense of dread that, eventually, I was going to see something snarky. I'm proud of you all.

I second or "third" everything that has been noted here. And I am grateful to Dave, too, for, y'know, never going on "Around The Horn." Made you feel there still was hope for this business.

4. boots

boots New Member

Snarky? Why would there be somethng snarky about this guy. I've NEVER heard anyone say anything bad about Dave. And if I do, I'd question the person saying something.

5. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

Boots, as the ultimate tribute to Dave Anderson, would you please stop posting about Dave Anderson? Thanks.

6. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

Yes. I know the man. Please stop pretending. Thank you. (Moddy, I'm stopping here, but it had to be said.)

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Understood.

8. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Solid writer. Anytime I was the copy desk and I saw his byline come across the wire, especially if it was from a big event like a golf major, I'd read it and soon enough, be lobbying for it to get into our paper. Sorry to see him retire, but the story does say he'll pen 18 columns a year, likely on Sundays, so that's a good thing.

9. What a truly great man and journalist. I consider it an honor and privilege to know him. The first time we met resulted in a funny incident that he still reminds me about, and always with a laugh. It's wonderful to read the warm tributes here.

I think it would be fitting if the BBWAA retired Dave's unique card number as a tribute. You probably know these numbers are based on seniority. Of the thousands of members, Dave is No. 1.

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I sat next to Mr. Anderson at an game earlier this year. I spent the entire game just observing him, how he went about his work and how he treated people. The business will be lessened without him.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And now you know .... the rest of the story. Paul Harvey. Good DAY! ;D

(Great anecdote...)

12. casty33

casty33 Active Member

There isn't much to add to what you all have written about a nice, nice man with a lot of talent. I was happy to read in the Times blurb this morning that Dave will still be writing a column about 18 times a year in an emeritus role. That's nice, the way Jerry Izenberg is doing it at The Star-Ledger.

The one thing you might not have known about Dave is that he's quite an eater. Despite being in pretty good shape, I can tell you from the few dinners I was lucky enough to attend with him, Dave takes a back seat to no one in the area of dining. The man can put it away. And he did it with class. I wish him the best in semi-retirement.

Draft saved Draft deleted