1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dave Anderson retiring

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by gingerbread, Sep 15, 2007.

1. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Best wishes to a nice and classy man.

http://sports.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/09/14/dave-anderson-retiring/

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

One of the classiest people you will ever meet, not only in this business but on this planet.

I am forever grateful for an amazing favor he did 38 years ago for a scared-to-death rookie whom he didn't even know... except for having seen my byline on a high school gamer from a game in which his son played.

No one deserves a long and happy retirement more than Dave.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Had a great run.

Best wishes.

4. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

I'll miss that column.

It's always solid.

5. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

[​IMG]

But he's still in his prime!

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Dave Anderson is a gentleman.

7. Colton

Colton Active Member

Such a class act.

8. boots

boots New Member

If you haven't had the honor of working with Dave Anderson, you missed a treat. He's truly a person to imitate. You would never know that Dave worked at the Times. He didn't carry his paper on his shoulder like many writers who haven't done a quarter of his work, do. I have NEVER seen him not try to help someone, if they asked for help. I have NEVER heard him gossip about others (although I'm sure he did) like a bitch the way many scribes do.
    This man is class. This man is a winner. This man will be missed. In my opinion, sports journalism just got weaker with this well-deserved retirement.
    BEST WISHES DAVE!

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It was always a pleasure to see Dave at any event, and it was an honor to know him. He was at the pinnacle of the profession, and never forgot the best part of sportswriting was taking pleasure from the experience.
    BTW: It's been out of print for years, but if you can find "Countdown to the Super Bowl," Dave's book on the Jets during Super Bowl III written when he was the Times' Jets beat writer, grab it. A tremendous book I bought when it came out, and still have.

10. boots

boots New Member

Mike you brought up something about the experience. Personally, I never saw the guy without a coy smile. And here's an even bigger kicker, it didn't matter to him if you were from the Bumfuck Gazette or the LA Times, the guy went out of his way to know you by name.
    How many people can you say that about in this screwy business? The leprechaun isn't like that nor is Dumbo in Detroit or Boston's resident know it alls.

11. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

One of the great gentlemen of this ungentlemanly profession, Mr. Anderson is also a living link to its grander past.

After World War II, when the soldiers and sailors and pilots were on their way home, so were the war correspondents. One of them, W.C. Heinz, of the New York Sun, shipped back to the Sun offices the battered black Remington typewriter on which he'd filed his dispatches from London and Paris and Berlin. That typewriter had been with him on an anti-submarine aircraft carrier in the North Atlantic, and for the entirety of the Allied push across Europe - from the landings on D-Day to the hedgerows of St. Lo, to the race across the Lowlands and the battle of the Huertgen Forest. He covered the Battle of the Bulge with that typewriter, and the pursuit and prosecution of Nazi spies and war criminals.

Once home, he would use that same typewriter to become one of the best sportswriters of his, or any, time - and to this day, in 2007, that typewriter rests on his desk as a reminder of what a world can be made of words.

The copy boy who checked W.C. Heinz's typewriter back into the mail room of the New York Sun on the afternoon it arrived from Germany?

Dave Anderson.

12. awesome story, jgmacg

best of luck to Dave, a true class act

Draft saved Draft deleted