1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Daunte Culpepper retires

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

You've been waiting your whole life for that to happen, haven't you? :D

2. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Hell, he can't do any worse than Tyler Thigpen.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Ehh. I've already been right at least once this week. :)

4. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I hate to say it, but Thigpen's gonna probably get hurt, too. Either he's going to get blind-sided or he's going to scramble downfield one too many times.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Who ISN'T going to get hurt in KC?

6. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Exactly. Why would Culpepper come back, only to be forced back into retirement because his spine needs to be fused.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

A 31-going-on-32 year-old QB coming off several years of catastrophic injuries makes no sense at all whatever for a horrible team like KC. (I see the usual bullshit about 'mentoring the youth' is included. ::) )

Suppose he comes back and plays at, ohh, say, 70% of his peak level. Then what you have is a below-average QB playing for a horrible team.

Suppose he comes back and starts regaining his skills. Then in 3 years, what you have is a 35-year-old QB on a team just starting to get good.

Mediocre (or worse) teams signing these middle-aged journeymen just drive me nuts. Even if the guy plays "well," all he does is roadblock the process of you developing a legitimately decent QB.

The only value, if any, Culpepper might have, would be to a pretty good team which already has an adequate QB, as injury insurance (or maybe to take over, if the 'adequate' incumbent melts down). That would mean the Patriots, maybe the Cowboys, I dunno, I suppose maybe the Packers, or even back with the Vikes.

But there really wasn't much indication from his most recent stints that he's not finished.

Draft saved Draft deleted