1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Daunte Culpepper retires

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Sep 4, 2008.

1. So, honestly, did his body just give out or was he always just that dependent on Moss?

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

He's not physically done. But he wasn't interested in playing for clipboard-holding money, and nobody sane was going to pay him
    starter's wages.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

It's a shame ... I think Daunte Culpepper is a lot better than some of the QBs in the league that are more fit to hold a clipboard.

His career was derailed in Charlotte. I know Mike Minter's hit wasn't dirty ... not that kind of player. Minter gave up at least 70 pounds, and while he's strong and hit like a train, trying to do that to Culpepper would have been a losing proposition.

Hope Culpepper did well with his money, and enjoys his health for the next stage of life.

4. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Culp wasn't bad. He obviously could pass, and produce good QB numbers. But the one thing he had trouble doing was winning.

And now his retirement letter to me sounds like he is trying to make himself out to be a victim.
    Be gone then Culp. Be gone. If I'm looking for a QB I like his experience, but I don't like the fact he's only had one winning season (and that being in his first year) and has a "Woe is me" attitude now.

5. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Kansas City would be happy to have him. But oh, wait, he's over 30, and Herm Edwards doesn't want anything to do with "old" guys.

6. SlickWillie71

SlickWillie71 Member

One of my favorites. Remember watching him light up Nebraska as a junior and thought this guy is going to be something else. A solid career, but makes you wonder what might have been had he not suffered the hit from Minter. I wouldn't be surprised if he pops up in the college ranks as a coach.

7. Sam Mills 51

The Chiefs could certainly use him, MU. But Herm Edwards and offense tend to be mutually exclusive terms. Worse, Larry Johnson's personality won't help matters.

8. MU_was_not_so_hard

No, Herm basically said they wouldn't go after any "older" free agents, essentially anyone over 30, earlier this year. He feels if you're rebuilding, you have to have a bunch of very young dudes to do it.
    Hell, if he could get rid of Donnie Edwards without being run out of town, he'd probably have done it by now.

9. Sam Mills 51

Herm apparently doesn't realize that some leadership from older players on the field might help the younger guys, therefore more quickly confidence, improving execution and - GASP! - speeding up the rebuilding process.

Perhaps Brodie Croyle is the long-term answer at QB ... opinions seem to vary. But does Herm really believe that he's a better solution both now and in the future vs. someone like Daunte Culpepper now with Croyle learning?

10. MU_was_not_so_hard

See, now you're arguing something with logic, and those type of conversations typically don't go over that well at One Arrowhead.

11. Sam Mills 51

It's really difficult to believe that Carl Peterson was part of the Saints' surge from the joke of the NFL to something fairly respectable.

And Lamar Hunt (RIP) wouldn't have been thrilled to see this. He would have been too classy to bark aloud, but surely it would have hurt for him to see.

12. MU_was_not_so_hard

At the same time, there's a reason Carl Peterson is going into his 20th year. Lamar and Clark Hunt have both been pretty supportive of this jagoffs decisions for a long, long time.

Draft saved Draft deleted