1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Daunte Culpepper, please pick up the white courtesy phone...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jason_whitlock, Sep 7, 2006.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

In defense of Cunningham and Testaverde, one of them would have won the Super Bowl in 1998 if not for Dennis Green and/or a sudden case of fumbleitis by the Jets against the Broncos.

But O'Donnell still sucks more than is humanly possible.

2. cubs

cubs Member

Off of the top of my head i can only think of a few starters that i woudl rather have of the current starters........Delhomme, Warner, Brady, The Manning Brothers, Hasselbeck, Palmer, and Bledsoe, ...maybe Favre still if he has a good day...and mcnabb and vick...lets see....thats only 1/3rd of the league....he is good enough to be considered near the top 1/3rd...thats not bad in my book.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Or maybe today's QBs are game managers who just aren't very good. Ever think of that?

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Too many QBs aren't out to win games. They're out not to lose them, which is what gets them in trouble.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I remain convinced this will work in Miami. Pittsburgh really impressed me tonight with the way they pulled the game out, and as Madden pointed out - maybe the best point he made all night - defenses can win you as many games as your offense. Polymalu was outstanding as ever.

One thing concerned me; Culpepper's staring down of receivers. There didn't seem to be any looking off at defenders or other options, just in on the primary receiver. Made him as easy to read as a Wilbon column.

Charlie Batch 3-0 over the past two seasons as a starter for the Steelers....sure sucks for the guy in our eliminator pool who took the Fins, doesn't even make the first Sunday.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Isn't this exactly what the Steelers did to a lot of teams last year? Isn't it the kind of thing Polamalu and Porter have done to a lot of quarterbacks?

Culpepper was in his first game back from a major knee injury. He had no running game all night and he was facing one of the league's best defenses on the road. I think it's a bit early to dismiss the guy.

The Dolphins' secondary, however, looks pretty bad. Charlie Batch kept floating passes out there and the Steelers' kept coming down with them. And at some point, you would think Miami would figure out that it's a good idea to cover that Hines Ward guy on third down.

7. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

What's amazing to me is, over the course of the summer, Culpepper went from when will his knee be ready to a Super Bowl winner and MVP candidate by some. Seriously, other than showing that he was healthy enough to start in week 1, what made people think he was suddenly a new Daunte? The fact that he looks good controlling himself on a commercial for a video game?

I Culpepper as a QB, but he was terrible before the knee injury last year and has never proven he can bring a team back in the fourth quarter, which he demonstrated again last night.

8. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

He looked good for his first game back against that pressure.

He made a couple awful throws, but a half-dozen throws that haven't been seen in aqua-and-orange in at least 13 years.

Better get your yapping in after this game, Whitlock.

What has Moss done since he parted ways with Culpepper?... he gonna make Brooks the next Culpepper?

Bulbous fucking buffoon.

9. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

BYH... we've had a really good run.

I think you know that I hate you, but I respect the hell out of you!

But that is just fucking stupid.

The Steelers may be the toughest team on teh Dolphins entire schedule, and Miami was up 3 with the ball with seven minutes left last night.

If Culpepper gets injured....we can talk then.

10. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

If Culpepper swims with stingrays... does that count as Joey WINNING the job?

11. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Denny Green?

Gary Anderson missed a 38-yarder indoors for the win.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly. I thought he made some plays with his legs, which allowed him to find a receiver to pick up big yards (Marty Booker's 52-yard catch comes to mind). He didn't play all that great after halftime, but given that he's back less than a year after a surgery like that with a brand new team and offense to learn, you probably ought to cut the man some slack. Especially given that his Week 1 game came at the reigning Super Bowl champions.

Now, if Culpepper plays like this against the Jets and Bills, I won't argue.

Draft saved Draft deleted