1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Daulerio says in Hogan trial he draws line at posting sex tape of 4 year old

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CD Boogie, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

People are out of work when cops raid whorehouses, too, and you don't hear much crying.

JackReacher and Lugnuts like this.
  2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

This was not a normal free speech case.
    It was about commercial speech- rules are different when you're making money off someone's privacy.
    Gawker not surprisingly thumbed its nose at the judicial process and it probably factored into the judgment.
    They are SJW degenerate with little or no understanding of consequence or the law.
    I hope Daulerio cleans vegetables for the rest of his life.

3. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I don't see how this is a first amendment issue at all, and I don't think that's my hatred of Gawker talking. I think most reasonable people would agree that you shouldn't post a video of someone having sex, even if they're famous, when they didn't know they were being filmed. That seems like an obvious violation of privacy, but that's the sort of thing that happens when you let angry children pretend they're journalists.

4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Depends on the state, as someone doubtlessly posted over the course of six pages. Some states are one-party (like Texas) where the consent of the second party to be recorded is not required.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Just the cucumbers!

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

$115 million is going to buy Hogan a lot of vitamins.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Just wandered over to Deadspin and the story about the sex tape has a fairly prominent place among the "You might also like" stories on the left side of the page. On Gawker's main site as well.
    Maybe they're like a manager who has already been ejected, and figures he might as well get his money's worth. Or a 6-year-old screaming after he's been told to go to his room.

Lugnuts likes this.
  9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

How much of this cash will he see? I'm guessing if Gawker goes under, it's minimal.

10. Plus however much the amount is reduced, and if the verdict holds up.
    I'm not entirely sure it will.

I also won't surprised if the two sides reach an out-of-court settlement.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

At least according to the NYT, the $115 million isn't the whole story.

The damages awarded to Mr. Bollea on Friday were compensatory: $55 million for economic harm and $60 million for emotional distress. Punitive damages will be established separately, which raises the prospect that Gawker will have to submit to a detailed examination of its finances in court so the jury can assess the scale of the damages.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/19/business/media/gawker-hulk-hogan-verdict.html?_r=0

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

If Hogan's emotional distress is worth $60 million, mine from having to witness this debacle has to be worth at least a few hundred thousand.

Lugnuts likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted