1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Daulerio leaving Gawker, John Cook replacing him

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Small Town Guy, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Not surprising in that Gawker has a long history of burning through top editors, but a bit surprising in that Daulerio seemed made for the place.

2. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

So they're replacing a douchebag with an asshole. Not much of an upgrade.
  3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

If Gawker was what Gawker thinks it is, it would have broken this news.
  4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Do you often speak out of both sides of your mouth?
  5. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Of course. The center too. Otherwise, I would look like this guy:

You only open one side of your mouth when you talk?

That's weird.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. CD Boogie

I enjoyed your long-winded retort (replete with art) that could have been summarized as, "Busted, ya got me."
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I admit to Gawker fatigue lately, and that has nothing to do with the various controversies. It's with the mothership and the other ones in the company. Maybe it's because everyone I work with reads it obsessively for 8 hours a day so I'm just overloaded with it, especially because one girl starts every third sentence with, "Did you see on Gawker...?"

Hamilton Nolan will rant about cops or the rich or the media. He's mad. Many of the other writers blend together into one mass of humanity: Neetzan Zimmerman, Caity Weaver, Rich Juzwiak. The weekend essays are getting worse and worse. There will be too many ironic exclamation points.

On the other hand, any story that is actually pretty straight-forward and well-done will be met with wonder by the commenters, who act like they've never seen such prose before. I did love Daulerio's execution of the commenters when he took over because no group of people online take themselves as seriously as Gawker commenters.

Part of it's just the format. Most people, you'll be exposed to a few pieces a week, maybe even a few pieces a month. Sick of Bill Simmons? You'll only read a column or two a week. With Gawker you're reading three, four, five pieces every day from someone, five days a week. It becomes too much.*

*Yes, all the sites still produce some outstanding stories.
  8. Azrael

Azrael Active Member

Seems very sudden.
  9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

If A.J. Daulerio ends up at Grantland somehow...
  10. CD Boogie

More likely Penthouse or Hustler. He was perfectly suited to being an editor at Gawker, both in skills and morals. He's a below-average writer who was never particularly funny or insightful, but he had "balls" and that allowed him to make up for what he lacked in everything else. The most telling thing he ever wrote was when he and Magary had their tryout with the short-lived Norm Macdonald sports show and AJ was bemoaning how difficult it was to write anything funny.
  11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

So is AJ headed to rehab, as we've long joked he might? Where is the story explaining why he left?
  12. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Maybe he's training to fight Chris Jones.
Draft saved Draft deleted