1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Daughter takes being a spoiled brat to unprecedented heights

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by old_tony, Mar 3, 2014.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

http://www.thefederalistpapers.org/us/daughter-sues-parents-for-financial-support-and-college-tuition-claims-they-owe-her

Turns 18, refuses to follow rules of the house, gets kicked out and cut off ... and sues parents saying they are legally bound to support her and pay her tuition.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Sounds like the parents are getting exactly the daughter they raised. Good for them.

The rest is BS, obviously, but they are definitely on the hook for her HS tuition. They made that decision, not her, and there is probably quite a bit of legal documentation of the parents accepting the financial responsibility.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't know if we can really say that, but that was my thought, too. Just from the "rules" -- the one that stuck out to me was "break up with her boyfriend, who is a bad influence." You kind of know they were fuckwads as parents when you read that, even if the kid is a pain in the ass. She's 18. At that age, those kinds of "strict" parent ultimatums never go well. It always seems to work best when you raise a kid with the the values you want, lead by example, and then ease her out into the world in a way that says, "Now go out and do the right thing. ... we trust you."

I hope the judge slaps the kid around a little. It sounds like she really needs it.

4. Curious to see how this turns out.
    I'll be shocked if the judge forces the parents to pay for college. I'm trying to imagine the possible precedent this sets up.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Lacrosse, and cheerleading? She's not getting scholarships? Isn't Mickey D's still hiring?

7. That's great and all - until she's knocked up by her loser boyfriend and tied to him for life.

Happened to a reporter friend of mine. His 18-y-o stepdaughter, attending college starts dating a loser drug dealer whose entire family is on welfare and assorted government bennies (that's the meal ticket for them). She loves him, needs him ... She gets knocked up. (He's happy as hell because of all the additional benefits they will qualify for. She quits school.
    Now they both have no job and are trying to live at my friend's house with the baby.
    It's a mess.
    Same scenario happened with my wife's co-worker. Only she - and 4.0 student at Marshall in some medical field - dropped out to move into a trailer with her white trash lover. She's not preggo.

My wife also dated some fuckstick loser in high school. A few months ago we both made the front page of the paper; me for my new job. Him, because he was arrested for sexual assault, burglary, trespassing and a few other charges after breaking into his ex-wife's house on Christmas Day.

Ragu, That's a great philosophy, until they get pregnant.

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I don't know. I suspect they wouldn't have the balls to kick her out and cut her off now if they were pushovers all the previous 18 years.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Kicking her out (and creating an even bigger bond with the boyfriend because they made him into forbidden fruit), cutting her off financially at 18, and removing any parental influence they may have still had isn't going to stop her from making a mistake, such as an unwanted pregnancy. I'd imagine what they did increased the chances of an immature 18-year-old making a mistake.

I don't know just HOW difficult the kid was, for how long, and if the parents had reached the end of a rope. But what they did was wash their hands of their kid because they found out that their 18-year-old was difficult. Let's be honest about it. I guess they have the right to do that. Parenting ends at some point.

But do you really think that not paying for her college education if they were otherwise inclined to (and taking away a college experience) and sending her out on her own was DESIGNED to keep her from getting pregnant? I'd think statistically her chances of an unwanted pregnancy went up.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

If the parents don't pay the HS tuition...I'd like to see someone here defend that.

11. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Rather than live under her parents' rules, she emancipated herself by moving out once she turned 18. Why are they obligated to pay her private school tuition?

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Most of it, I assume, is charges incurred before she turned 18.

Also, unless this school operates differently from all other schools, they signed an agreement to pay the tuition.

Draft saved Draft deleted