1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dating...ugh

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by pffft, Aug 23, 2009.

1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Great point, dreunc. I've been trying to get back to the area my family lives in for a decade now. Never underestimate the importance of living somewhere you feel comfortable.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

pfft. You're 23, with a job that you care about, enjoy. In this day and age how many people, young and old are saying that now?

I'm the eternal optimist but here goes anyways......Start remembering the great things you have going for yourself and the good stuff will fall in line.

You're a sportswriter, something you always wanted. Start acting like it. Be proud of yourself, not conceited. Express positive thoughts about your career when you talk about your profession; don't cower or mumble about it. Believe me, if a janitor told a model that he loved his job and enjoyed going to work every day, he'd have a chance, simply by the sheer positivity he was projecting.

Likewise, lack of serious relationships? So what, that was your choice. You made it and you're happy to deal with whatever consequences there may be.

The best advice I ever got from a woman was "she can smell desperation a mile away." And it was true. Whenever I was in a relationship, there were potential companions seemingly everywhere. Why? Because I probably was subconsciously more at ease. The moral is aspire to not look desperate even though you are searching. Be confident in yourself. Listen to Vince Vaughn in "Swingers"; he's got the best advice.

As for the small town thing, aren't there other neighboring towns? Explore the peripheral things in town you may have otherwise ignored, the local library, book clubs, service clubs, regional parks. The are fertile grounds and may lead you to feeling better about yourself.

Good luck and enjoy the journey.

3. pffft

pffft Member

Some good advice from all different angles I would say. qtlaw, I particularly liked your point of view because I really do try to be as upbeat and optimistic as possible. When my friends that used to live here would always complain about how much they hated it, I was the one reminding them to look on the bright side. As you said, not everybody these days has a lot of things going for them and our lives are really not that bad. For people in their 20's and one year out of college, there always aren't a lot of options.

However, they moved and now say they couldn't be happier. Of course, our career paths are very much different.

With everything said, I definitely don't have anything close to a regret at this point but am, without a doubt, a happy person.

And yeah, there's NO way I'm joining a book club. :D

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

So join a church, a Bible study, a biking group, a tattood freak club. Go out and do stuff with people you don't know yet.

5. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

This is why I'm single. When a guy makes the effort to come up to me and talk to me instead of staring at me or checking me out for 10 minutes before checking to see if I have a brain in my head, I know what they're after, and it ain't my personality. A lot of the guys around here might as well have the letters D-E-S-P-E-R-A-T-E tattooed on their foreheads, because that's the way they act.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

[​IMG]

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Few people admit . . .

they screwed up by moving ("couldn't be happier")
    or had a terrible vacation ("it was wonderful")
    or picked the wrong candidate ("well . . . the other guy would have been even worse")

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Except for Louisianans.

9. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

pfft:

I was in the same situation at my first newspaper job out of college. Living in a redneck town with nothing to do except go to one of the 3 bars after my shift every night (and sometimes before). Just make the most of it and don't get too caught up in trying to find your soul mate or any of that crap. Get drunk, get laid, have fun and focus on your career. And definitely don't spend more than a couple years at that place before moving on. Get in, get your experience and get out. Enjoy being 23 and single while it lasts.

10. fitnessscribe

fitnessscribe Member

Wenders, that is an awesome way of putting it. I think every woman on here knows exactly where you're coming from! That said, we're allowed to be proactive, too, I guess. I'm just started to feel comfortable with that!

11. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

Pfffft,

My entire life, I wanted nothing more than to move up the ranks as a sports writer. From the time I was a tot, it was the only thing I wanted to do. Wanted to big in a big market, leave my little hometown behind.

Went out with several people here and there, but never seriously dated anyone. At 22, met the woman who is now my wife and married her a year later. We've been married nine years now, going strong.

Getting married wasn't a priority for me, but love happened. That changed all of my priorities. I'm not in sports journalism anymore (or sports at all, for that matter), but life is going better than I ever imagined it would. I live a half-hour from my hometown, and I see friends and family regularly. When I was younger, work was the top priority. Now it's Wife; friends/family; work.

As others have said, make decisions based on what you think your priorities are. Along the way, things may happen that make you change your list, and that's okay. You never know when that life-changing moment is going to happen.

12. Pffft, I know a woman you could call. Recently single, cute. Though I'd recommend against getting too serious with her.

Draft saved Draft deleted