1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dating a co-worker

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rickys The Best, Jul 27, 2007.

1. markvid

markvid Guest

Did any roofing come off?

2. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Yeah, my experiences with at-work dating have been a real bear, too.

3. Pi

Pi Member

I once got to mediate one of these between reporters when I was ME at a small daily. The guy thought they were just being casual, killing time with sex. She thought they were "in a relationship." This started when I was SE, and was drinking buddies with both. When I got the promotion, said guy became my news editor, thus throwing their "arrangement" into a boss-subordinate alternate reality. Any time he ripped up one of her stories, she was in my office crying.

I couldn't really do much because they knew I was dealing with my own dysfunction relationship -- I was boning the single-mom receptionist. I finally I showed up at his apartment with a fifth of scotch and over several drinks begged him to a) stop boning her (met with a 'why?') and b) stop giving her so much shit in front of the whole news room.

I quit that job a month later and went back to sports.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Can't speak about the roofing, but from what I heard about the chick, "shingles" was definitely an operating word. :-X

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I thought Fleetwood Mac was the ultimate lesson in why you shouldn't date coworkers.

My advice: Don't do it. If you two break up and you have to work closely together every day, it's a recipe for disaster.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Nah. Rumours nixes that theory.

7. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

I guess the bottom line is that if you are going to date somebody from work, you better take it seriously.

If you go out simply because you want to nail the new girl in the art department then DON'T. It will end badly.

If you meet somebody interesting and after months of getting along and becoming friends you want to give it a try, then good luck.

It is kind of like going to the bar afterwork and having a couple of beers. . . then driving home. Are you drunk? You don't feel like it but under the legal definition you might be. You might get away with it, but be prepared for the time you get pulled over and your life goes to shit.

In the end, if it doesn't work and your life becomes a mess, you can't say that you weren't warned.

Draft saved Draft deleted