1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dating a co-worker

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rickys The Best, Jul 27, 2007.

1. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Never stick your wiener in the company hoo-ha.

2. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

Never, ever shit where you eat.

3. leo1

leo1 Active Member

you can't help who you fall for. it's only natural to date coworkers, especially in this crazy business.

i dated a coworker over 10 years ago at my first newspaper job. now we're married with a kid on the way.

we only worked together for about 18 months before we both moved on to other publications in the same area. as i got older i realized how glad i was that we no longer worked together, but at the time when we were 23, 24 years old and just having fun, it was fine.

4. She's not on editorial, btw. And it's a magazine and she's in ads/marketing, so we hardly have any work contact.

I would never date somebody I actually have to deal with at work.

5. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

As a wise man once said, "Don't get your bread and your meat at the same place"

6. audreyld

audreyld Guest

What I'm hearing here is that you've already made up your mind, and you just want us to validate your decision.

So, here goes. Go for it man. Could turn out to be the love of your life. Let us now how it goes.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I've dated 2 newsroom colleagues. Both of them are great girls and top-notch journos.

If you can make it work, go for it.

8. Same here, mates. I married a co-worker at the paper we both worked for back in Florida.
    We were friends while we were there and had the urge for each other, but never acted on it. Years later we both said to hell with this. We get on well, enjoy each other's company, let's get married. We did and it's been great!

But again, use caution since you both work in the same place. I've seen lots of those efforts work and just as many fail with stunningly bad repercussions.

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I dated an ad designer, and it was terribly awkward when we broke up (esp. since one of news copy editors decided to go after him). I can't say it's something I'd recommend. Helps if you don't work in the same department. That way she's not somebody you have to deal with on a daily basis.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Unless it is the only guy/girl in the world who you think will ask you out (which I am seriously doubting), listen to Buck.

There was a thread on this a few months ago...

11. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

I work with a couple who are dating, both on the desk working the same hours. They barely acknowledge each other to a point where you'd never guess they were dating if you hadn't seen them away from the office.

One way to deal with it, I suppose.

12. markvid

markvid Guest

Talk to Boots' HR people first.

Draft saved Draft deleted