1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dating a co-worker

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rickys The Best, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Has anybody dated a co-worker? Any advice on the best way to keep it professional?

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Shouldn't this, perhaps, be on the Anything Goes board?

That aside, I've dated co-workers in the past years. Circumstances vary, but it definitely helps to NOT date someone in your own department.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

don't date her unless you're absolutely sure.....if the falling out happens, it can be very difficult to stay professional and others can pick up on it.

4. IU90

IU90 Member

Is this sports or news?

5. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Mr. LippmanRickys The Best's Boss: It's come to my attention that you and the cleaning womanyour girlfriend have engaged in sexual intercourse on the desk in your office. Is that correct?
    George Constanza Rickys The Best: Who said that?
    Mr. LippmanRickys The Best's Boss: She did.
    George Constanza Rickys The Best: [pause] Was that wrong? Should I not have done that? I tell you, I gotta plead ignorance on this thing, because if anyone had said anything to me at all when I first started here that that sort of thing is frowned upon... you know, cause I've worked in a lot of offices, and I tell you, people do that all the time.
    Mr. LippmanRickys The Best's Boss: You're fired!
    George Constanza Rickys The Best: Well, you didn't have to say it like that.

6. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

It is by definition unprofessional, but hardly uncommon. The only way to avoid problems is to make sure you never break up. Congratulations on your upcoming marriage.

7. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

I second that one. Ironically, I was advised this week to not entertain the idea of going out with media because word gets around and it really can damage reputation and any professional ties you may have. Not sure if I agree with that, but the person giving me the advice has put 22 years in the broadcast industry and he has seen a lot.

8. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I think he just wants to bang you.

9. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Best advice, buck. I like don't dip your quill in the company ink myself.

Unless it's someone in say advertising, circulation or somewhere else in the paper besides news, I think it's bad. If you work together after a break-up, it can be tough.

10. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

This about sums it up.

Think about it as a risk/reward situation. The reward would be great, yes. But the risk if, as slappy says, it goes south, is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy heavier than said reward.

Trust me.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Never go fishing off the company pier.

12. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

Company ink, so to speak.

Draft saved Draft deleted