1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

dateline usage

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HoopsMcCann, Nov 29, 2007.

1. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

so, a competitor writes a story off a press conference that was broadcast on radio and the web but wasn't there. still, he has a dateline as if he was there. i was there, he wasn't. should it bother me that he used a dateline when he wasn't there. isn't that misleading the reader? or am i just being petty?

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Did he put a byline on it?

3. HoopsMcCann

yes... bylined

4. yes, yes and yes.

5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Datelines are supposed to indicated to a reader where the material was gathered. Not where it originated.
    Of course, it is misleading.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

I agree with you hoops that he was wrong... problem is, 99.99999% of readers don't give a crap and/or have little or no idea what datelines represent.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah, but there's always that .0000001.

8. HoopsMcCann

thing is, there are people who are reading this who know who i am and immediately know who i'm talking about... there is a pattern of this stuff and it just gets old

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

There is, however, nothing you can do about it so I'd say don't let it get to you.

10. HoopsMcCann

11. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

i know of at least one paper in my area that does this as policy

dateline on every staff-generated story, doesn't matter if a reporter was there

revolting

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm more annoyed by my local paper having a dateline from 10 miles outside town and putting the state after the city. I didn't move in yesterday.

Draft saved Draft deleted