1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dateline question: Is Stanford a city?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Charlie Brown, May 17, 2007.

1. lollygagger

lollygagger Member

Another example is the University of Miami, located in Coral Gables, Fla. I know they play their games in Miami, but stories from practice and pressers (which are presumably on campus) also have a Miami dateline.

2. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

And the most recent Super Bowl was in Miami Gardens, Fla.

3. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

I have always used the city and state.

Los Angeles, Calif --
    Compton, Calif --
    Santa Monica, Calif --

But thats just for Los Angeles and I am not sure about the rest of the US of A.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Los Angeles is a state-exempt byline.

Penn State is tricky. Technically, the mailing address is "University Park" (which is not a municipality). The campus is in State College borough and College Township. Beaver Stadium, which is off-campus technically, is in College Township, possibly may also cross into Ferguson Township.

5. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Palo Alto. They can't buy a dateline, even if they have a campus golf course and shopping mall. Screw 'em.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Speaking of datelines, Baghdad (finally) has been added to AP's exempt dateline list. About time.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Does Stanford, Calif., have its own governing body, i.e Mayor and council?
    Who --other than Fat Charlie -- is the Mayor of Notre Dame, Ind.?
    Who governs Air Force Academy, Colo.?

Having a post office means nothing.. I used to live in a sprawling suburb that had four different postal designations. They all were part of the same township. Didn't matter what post office address you had, you paid your property taxes to the same township.

Stanford is in Palo Alto. Notre Dame is in South Bend. The Air Force Academy is in Colorado Springs.

And Speedway, Ind., is an incorporated town with its own governing body. It is NOT part of the city of Indianapolis.

8. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

In Texas, you can have datelines from Athens, Atlanta, Bellaire, Beverly Hills, Bogata (sic), Canton, Charlotte, Cleveland, Columbus, Dayton, Detroit, Dublin, Edinburg, Florence, Fresno, Jacksonville, La Joya, Lancaster, Lexington, Marathon, Memphis, Miami, Naples, Newcastle, Nome, Odessa, Omaha, Paducah, Paris, Pasadena, Pinehurst, Pittsburg (sic), Portland, Princeton, Reno, Rochester, San Augustine, San Diego, San Juan, Santa Fe, Saratoga, Trenton, and Yorktown.

I've always leaned toward leaving the state designator on these places even for Texas newspapers.

Then there are places such as Carthage, Holland, Italy, Nederland, Palestine, Trinidad, Turkey.

Of course, there's also my all-time favorite dateline: EARTH

9. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

Stanford is NOT in Palo Alto. It is surrounded by Palo Alto.
    The Air Force Academy is NOT in Colorado Springs. It is near Colorado Springs.

These facts can not be argued.

There are many unincorporated areas that need datelines. You can't just use the nearest town with a mayor and a city council. Stanford is a place. Air Force Academy is a place. No one is confused by the usage, they are specific and they are correct.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's Palo Alto. I grew up just miles away from that campus and I never saw a "Stanford" dateline until about 10 years ago...

It's a campus not a city.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Why not?

By that line of reasoning, Penn State should be University Park. Plain and simple.

12. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

My favorite, which I didn't know until recently, is that games on Villanova's campus are datelined VILLANOVA, Pa., not Philadelphia, because the two are separate towns.
    Of course, I'm not a Big East beat writer...

Draft saved Draft deleted