1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dateline question: Is Stanford a city?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Charlie Brown, May 17, 2007.

1. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

Settle an argument. What is the proper dateline for a sporting event held on Stanford's campus: Palo Alto, or Stanford?

2. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

STANFORD, Calif. — Stanford University's campus is surrounded, but is not in, the city of Palo Alto, Calif. It is a census-designated place with a post office, so use Stanford, not Palo Alto.

3. FWIW, same goes for Notre Dame. Dateline is not South Bend. Out of curiosity (yes, slow day), any other colleges out there that don't use the city for datelines?

4. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

I know Penn State is a hot-button issue. I've always used STATE COLLEGE, but have heard it's supposed to be UNIVERSITY PARK.

5. nutgraph

nutgraph New Member

how about the university of phoenix? is it in phoenix, ariz.? ;D

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Games at Stanford have always been from Stanford, Calif. (They have a rather high opinion of themselves there).

My alma mater has its own postal zip code as well.

My parents wrote to,

Micropolitan Guy
    PO box 1306,
    University of XXXXXXXX,
    XX xxxxx

But the dateline from campus events in always XXXXXXXX, Xx., not University of Xxxxxxxx

(Maybe those Xs are why I never got much mail)

7. Air Force Academy is another one. Don't use Colorado Springs.

8. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Doesn't the AP us South Bend for ND? Not that they're always right...

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Just to get the discussion going ...

Just because a place has its own post office, does that make it a city and worthy of a dateline? I thought unincorporated places didn't get datelines, which is why league meetings at the hotels in Las Colinas take an IRVING, Texas dateline.

In other words, I don't think it's necessarily clear-cut that Notre Dame doesn't get a SOUTH BEND, Ind., dateline.

10. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

I don't think there's a rule, but if the USPS decides it's a place worthy of distinction, that's good enough for me.

11. lollygagger

lollygagger Member

I don't think I've seen a Notre Dame story with anything but a South Bend dateline. Of course, most of what I see are AP stories, and their dateline of choice is South Bend as mentioned above.

More directly to your question, da man, the postal address for Mississippi State is Mississippi State, Miss., but no one says or writes that the school is anywhere else but Starkville. So a post office alone apparently isn't enough.

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

The Indianapolis Motor Speedway is actually in Speedway, Ind. Most places still use Indianapolis as the dateline though.

Draft saved Draft deleted