1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dateless student told she can't attend prom

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Apr 26, 2012.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

My older daughter's school has its prom this weekend. One of her closest friends is, shall we say, big-boned and is going without a date. The good news is that my daughter's not really gaga about her date, and her other best friend's in one of those "staying together for the prom" kinds of relationships, so at least the three of them will be sitting together and talking/giggling/having a good time. Still, simply knowing that this poor girl will be the only one in the limousine* without a date is taking away a lot of the joy for me.

*There's a whole gaggle of them going together.

2. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

Aren't proms highly overrated anyway? I know it's all about the girl, sort of a pre-wedding type of deal. But it seems the expense and stress don't live up to the hype. Usually if you go in a group there are a few couples you really would not rather be around as well. And most of these are one date type of deals.

I think there were at least 20 "keggers" back in the day that were much more fun.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

True, kickoff, but it gets boys used to a lifetime of putting up with a bunch of ridiculous shit in a futile attempt to get laid. Important learning tool for society.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

OK, I am going to laugh (to myself) all weekend over this. This is almost as good as a Bill Dance Bloopers video!

5. kickoff-time

True that! I know my son went with a group of couples and one spoiled girl (putting it nicely and not his date) tried to stop parents from taking pictures at what she deemed an inappropriate time or some crap, saying, "This is MY prom and this is how I want it done." Never mind she was with five or six other couples.

I know my son didn't get anything except a terribly upset stomach. Not sure about the spoiled girl or her date.

6. HC

HC Well-Known Member

At least she gets to go. Beats the crap out of sitting at home while her friends with dates get to attend.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Agrees.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. kickoff-time

Sissy Spacek was like 26 in "Carrie." I swear in some parts of the movie she looks 14. Telekinesis can do that for you.

9. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

If a guy in the school stepped up and asked this girl to go to put an end to all of this drama, she would have to say yes, right?

10. kickoff-time

We can rest easy now. Apparently she has a date.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/04/25/pennsylvania-girl-to-attend-prom-after-reportedly-being-denied-to-go-solo-by/

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Doesn't say she has a date. Wonder if the Geek Squad at her school all got together and hit her up to see if she'd bite or not.

12. kickoff-time

But a spokeswoman for the archdiocese told FoxNews.com Thursday that Dougherty does have a date and will be attending the prom.

Dougherty could not be reached for comment for this story.

Draft saved Draft deleted