1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dateless student told she can't attend prom

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Apr 26, 2012.

1. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

It's a stupid rule to require that a kid have a date in order to go to a prom.

That said, I can't imagine wanting to go to a formal prom without a date, either.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It doesn't seem like a strange rule to me. It was my high school's rule, as far as I know. So it seems like the norm.

3. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

you don't want to take a Juggalo to prom. They see a magnet and get flustered and the whole night is shot

4. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

It's called going stag. It was a lot cheaper than taking a date. A lot of girls did it too. But if it's against the rules, it's against the rules. Regardless of how weird it seems.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I'd bet damn-near zero public schools within 50 miles of a major city have this rule now. That said, if you choose to go to a Catholic school, you are paying for their rules. Also, there wasn't a single guy at her school who would have considered joining her? It's not like they had to do the whole prom experience if she wanted to go stag anyway.

6. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I just am curious as to the reasoning for the rule.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

People have sued -- and won -- over far sillier rules. It's discrimnatory in the sense that not every single student may be able to get a date. Not right to ban those students from an activity open to all others.

If the rule said, no black/Hispanic/Asian students were allowed, the ACLU would be all over this.

If I were her, I would show up and crash the thing. Of course, she's probably too shy and sensitive to do that.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Yeah, but look at that head of hair!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

He's just practicing the Catholic version of birth control ... ;)

10. Dick Whitman

My guess is that people going stag are more likely to cause trouble.

11. Dick Whitman

Yes, it would.

Minorities = Protected groups.

Single people = Not protected group (unless it's in hiring).

Link to the winning cases that you know all about?

12. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Couldn't they just hold a separate cloistered prom?

Draft saved Draft deleted