1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Daryl Strawberry throws out first pitch last night

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Oct 13, 2006.

1. That's incredible. I never would have known that.

Of course, I had to go to the team's page. John Gibbons ended his playing career with the 1986 Mets, though he barely played, instead warming up for his bout against Ted Lilly. That doesn't really count, though, since he played sparingly.

Still, for no players of significance from that year's team to end their careers with the franchise must be unparalleled in MLB history, unless you count teams that had firesales (1997 Marlins, Philadelphia As of the 1910s and 1929-1930).

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

That was a really well put together team. Had an old-fashioned 1-2 punch at closer and numerous grunts who not only contributed plenty on the field but helped set the tone off it (like when Kevin Mitchell nearly killed Sammy Khalifa of the Pirates during a brawl...and when he killed his girlfriend's cat. oh wait).

So of course the idiot upstairs trades Mitchell for Kevin McReynolds, who never had a pulse.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

And better still, dickhead, they traded Mtchell because they thought he was going to be a bad influence on Doc and Darryl.... MUAHAHAHAHA

4. DyePack

DyePack New Member

The trade that sent Dykstra to the Phillies and brought over Juan Samuel was the beginning of the end.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

This man disagrees with you.

[​IMG]

6. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I started going back to see when the last time a World Series-winning team had no players end their career with that team. I can't find one. The last team where no starters or key pitchers did it was the 1957 Braves (but key reserve Andy Pafko did retire with the Braves in 59). That is truly amazing.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Rafael Santana!

8. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I'm surprised it's that rare.

9. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I thought Eddie Matthews retired a Brave EDIT, but he didn't.

Jeff Conine always has a chance to be resigned by the Marlins.

Draft saved Draft deleted