1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Darwin's Doubt

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jul 9, 2013.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

No, books like this just fuel the legitimacy of this garbage and allow debates to continue about whether we should be teaching creationism alongside evolution in schools. They really don't help anything, particularly because the author's premise is to construct a straw man (DARWIN SAID HE SOLVED EVERYTHING AND HE DIDN'T SO HA!!!) and then set flame to it.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think, in many ways, books like this - or ones teaching actual evolutionary biology to the masses instead of Jesus biology - are problematic because they are so accessible. Science is complex. But people get a diluted dose of it in sixth grade, then another breezy dose of it via Malcolm Gladwell 10-15 years later, and they get this impression that it's all really pat.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I guess I'd have to read the book to fairly respond.

I found the discussion I heard yesterday to be interesting. (He was being interviewed by my main man, Michael Medved.)

I'm just not sure that he's doing what you suggest.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Did any of you ever read Stephen J. Gould's Full House? That's a pretty accessible book, and it gives you a flavor of these broad misconceptions re: evolution.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Same thing with "The Greatest Show on Earth" and "The God Delusion," to a lesser degree, by Richard Dawkins.

6. Humungus

Humungus Member

this thread is perfect in every way. it's exactly what you'd expect.

7. YankeeFan

It's the scientific order of things.

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Gould wasn't defending evolution, per se, so I don't know as I would put that book in the class of the two you mention. Rather, he was clarifying popular misconceptions regarding evolution. Among these, for example, is that Homo Sapiens represents some triumph of evolution. In fact, evolutionary theory sees the whole primate line -- perhaps even the whole body of multi-cellular species -- as an evolutionary backwater.

Scientific American, October, 1994.

9. YankeeFan

I'm out of my depth here, but like I said, I find it fascinating.

Why for instance are chimps so much stronger than us -- even if they throw like a girl?

I get that a bigger brain is more important, but why wouldn't we also be as strong as a chimp?

(I'm honestly not trolling, or trying to sow doubt in the theory of evolution.)

10. SpockPuppet

SpockPuppet New Member

Insufficient facts always invite danger.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

By definition, those people would not be average joes. They'd be exceptional joes.

12. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Whose aliens?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted