1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Darwin's Doubt

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Again: What does Darwin have to do with the origin of life?

2. Here me roar

Here me roar Guest

I think, by definition, an author extolling intelligent design is working to debunk Darwin.

How is a working example of Darwinism a 'fall back' and not evidence?

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Exactly.

Intelligent Design may be the most flawed theory ever conceived. But, it doesn't conflict with Darwin.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Say something stupid.

Get called on it being stupid.

Accuse less stupid people of trying to shut down discussion.

They aren't trying to shut it down. They are trying to keep you from dragging it down. When your science book requires "narrative" and "easy to understand" sections, it's not off to a great start.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Frank Costanza could use a little help, too.

http://youtu.be/-MCtC_U4e2o?t=1m1s

6. YankeeFan

Ok, let's back up.

If we're going to assign levels of stupid, can someone answer me this: did the author of the book, or the author of the article about the book, use the term "Darwinist" as a pejorative?

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The author is trying to exploit God and Jesus, having seen the way millions upon millions of people line up at Chick-fil-A or buy Tebow jerseys for that one reason. (I no has Tebow jersey. I worship only the wing-T Tebow.) It is a cynical but extraordinarily effective use of religion, and if there isn't a sucker born every minute, there's certainly one born (or born again) often enough to make it worthwhile to put out a Jesus-related product.

There is no need to "discredit" Intelligent Design. It has no credit.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

There's a really good reason the fossil record is incomplete.

Do you know how difficult it is for an organism to become fossilized after it dies? All sorts of things have to go exactly, perfectly right -- the soil conditions, moisture, weather, other organisms not consuming it, etc. It is extremely rare for any plant or animal to become a fossil in the first place. Then the fossil must survive millions or billions of years of earthquakes, volcanic activity, tectonic plate motion, rock upheaval, erosion, etc., to get to the present day. And then it must be discovered by people who aren't necessarily looking for it (or if they are might be looking in the wrong place).

And that slim chance of an organism becoming a discovered fossil decreases exponentially when that creature is an invertebrate made of soft tissue with no bones or exoskeleton.

Anyone who believes we're going to discover the complete fossil record that shows the exact steps from prehistoric ancestor to every present-day organism is sorely mistaken. We'll never even find a tenth of it, nor a hundredth.

That said, there do exist a number of fossil trails that show a very clear evolutionary path from ancestor to current animal -- most famously, in the horse, though that evolutionary progression was apparently far more complex than the original "straight-line" sequence it first seemed.

Which brings up another point -- those evolutionary sequences are not going to be straight lines. It doesn't work like that. There will be many branches that go nowhere, or species that coexist with their so-called ancestors, or lines that split in different ways, or all sorts of variations. In short, it isn't as simple as finding some sort of "missing link" in any particular organism's evolutionary chain.

As for the Cambrian Explosion, you're looking for fossils that predate some of the oldest fossils known. It's obvious that the more recent the fossil, the better chance it has of surviving and being discovered -- and conversely, the older it is, the less chance of making it. And, again, all of the animals we're looking for are invertebrates and most are soft-bodied, making fossils far more difficult to come by. From what I've read, the kind of stone in which many of the Cambrian Explosion fossils have been found is extremely rare, and Cambrian-era layers seem to have an unusually high percentage of that type of stone, which helps preserve soft tissue, whereas other (pre-Cambrian) eras do not, making it harder to find a record of organisms from those eras. And there is even some disagreement about the relative age of the layers in which many of the Cambrian fossils were found, meaning the "explosion" might actually have occurred over a longer period of time than first thought.

But then, you don't have to take my word for it: http://icb.oxfordjournals.org/content/43/1/157.long

"... the temporal aspects of exceptional preservation are also worth remarking on. Almost all of our detailed knowledge of the macro-fossil record of the Cambrian explosion comes from the exceptionally preserved biotas, of which the Burgess Shale is merely one representative among many (Butterfield, 1995). ... It is important to note that these preservational modes are not always randomly distributed. ... Revisions to the Cambrian time-scale allow a moderately long period of time, some tens of millions of years, between the first likely bilaterian trace fossils, and the general appearance of crown-group members of the phyla."

All that said, evolution has been actually observed. Ask any doctor who has had to change the antibiotics he or she prescribes because certain bacteria have become resistant to certain antibiotics. How do you think that happens? Well, the antibiotic kills most of the bacteria it encounters -- but not all of them. The ones that survive multiply and pass their resistance on to their offspring. Given the compressed time frame and prodigious nature of bacterial reproduction, it doesn't take that much time for that trait to become dominant in a certain population.

So the short answer is, Darwin did not claim to have all the answers. No one does. But expecting the fossil record to offer complete proof of evolution, and citing gaps in the fossil record as evidence that evolution is false, is foolish.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Wonder if Darwin ever wrote about the evolution of the scrotum, like Slate did:

http://slate.me/17229gX

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

The reason millions of people line up at Chick-fil-A is because their sandwiches are fucking awesome.

Just sayin'.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That too, I do have to agree.

12. YankeeFan

See, I don't really disagree with you. Pop/pseudo science sells (certainly more than real science), especially if it also appeals to Christians.

And, I'm not sure if it's any more or less exploitative than the works of folks like Dan Brown (who, admittedly bills his work as fiction, but many believe they are reading the "truth" when they read a book like The Da Vinci Code).

I also thought da man's post was terrific.

It's probably true that if you took da man's post and submitted it as a book proposal, you're unlikely to get a contract, while Meyer's proposal did lead to a contract.

I find Darwin and evolution fascinating. (The idea of intelligent design is somewhat interesting, but less so than Darwin/evolution.)

So, if a statement like da man's isn't interesting or provocative enough to set off a discussion on the subject, I'll settle for Meyer's book.

Draft saved Draft deleted