1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Darren Sharper arrested on rape charges

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by old_tony, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

What an awkward headline. How about "is Accused of Rape"?

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm always a fan of the shorter hed, but we also don't know the specs that the copy editor had to fill. It's a little awkward, but it's not inaccurate.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, during my desk days I hated white space on the end of a two-deck hed. I'm sure they were just trying to square it up.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Update -- indicted in New Orleans, with a possibility that there is a new victim.

http://deadspin.com/darren-sharper-indicted-for-rape-in-new-orleans-possib-1670356291

YankeeFan is taken aback that everyone is reporting on this. Sharper is black, after all, which should mean a media free pass.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The lawyer for Detroit Lions running back Reggie Bush said he denies allegations made in a Louisiana courtroom recently that he gave ecstasy to women while hanging out with accused rapist Darren Sharper in Las Vegas.

"This is outrageous," Bush's California-based attorney Shawn Holley told the Free Press. "I can say to you on the record that Reggie adamantly, vehemently and unequivocally denies all of the statements in that article. We are demanding a retraction from The Advocate and Reggie is considering taking legal action."

The Advocate, based in Louisiana, reported on its website today that one of Sharper's co-defendants, former St. Bernard Parish sheriff's deputy Brandon Licciardi, told investigators that he saw Bush give ecstasy to women and put it in Champagne glasses at a Las Vegas nightclub.

Sharper, who played the 2009-10 seasons with the New Orleans Saints while Bush was with the team, is accused of being a serial rapist with charges pending or cases being investigated in five different states.

Bush has not been charged with any wrongdoing.

Detroit Lions' Reggie Bush denies involvement in Darren Sharper case

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

7. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

He pleaded to multiple rapes in multiple states, and concurrent sentences means he'll do less than a decade.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Was anything incorrect about what I said?

9. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I literally just finished putting the story on the front page. Was just updating if anyone was interested in the key detail. But by all means, misconstrue away.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The unknown is what the Feds do with the sentencing on the Fed charges and what the judges say about sentencing.

What is clear is the deal is that all sentences are concurrent, meaning no stacking of sentences and the longest sentence trumps all. However, I think there are two other states to go and in each state the judges can reject the plea bargain. I read the average jail time for a rape is eleven years; yet even with a 20 yr sentence, he'll get less for admitted rapes in 4 states. Something really smells about that.

11. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Awhile back, Peter King called this "one of the most stunning arrests of a NFL player ever"

I agree completely. I just shake my head every time I see this one. I'm guessing anyone who dealt with Sharper as a player was stunned by this one.

12. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Bill Cosby's favorite player.

Draft saved Draft deleted