1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Darren Sharper arrested on rape charges

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by old_tony, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

And it includes Sharper's brother, former NFL linebacker Jamie Sharper:

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2014/02/darren_sharper_brother_jamie_w.html

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

This guy has led a double life.
    He is the textbook sociopath.
    Superficial charm and intelligence.
    Crafting an image of caring, in this case for women (various gender-based charities), to get folks to look the other way.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Louisiana does indeed want a piece of the action.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2014/02/27/darren-sharper-date-rape-charges-new-orleans-los-angeles/5875411/

Co-defendant is an event coordinator whose main project appears to be "Football Camp For Her."

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

William Rhoden going to write about this?

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Geez, you have to wonder how long he's been doing this? I'd be shocked if he just started in the last year or two since his playing days ended.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You are probably right. The main difference is, of course, NFL teams have their "security force" (fixers and ghouls) for when stuff like this happens with someone on the active roster.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Sad. Just the latest thread in a growing pile of evidence that the NFL is populated by all sorts of thugs and such.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Sharper's not your textbook douchebag, of which there are quite a few in the NFL. This guy was well-liked by teammates. He was well-liked by the media. He was a leader in more than one locker room.

Assuming this is true, and I am definitely making that assumption... the guess that he's a true sociopath is probably accurate.

9. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

He still has not been terminated by NFLN.
    I understand he is entitled to constitutional protections, but this is an avalanche of allegation.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Based off of that, Jamie can't be lumped completely in with Darren.

But after the (alleged) victims, I can't help thinking of the Sharpers' mother. This is a lot different than having white-collar criminal kids.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Juliet Macur in the Times:

Ex-N.F.L. Star Who Spoke Out for Women Is Accused of Being a Rapist

Darren Sharper, a former N.F.L. standout who won a Super Bowl with the New Orleans Saints, posed with his teenage daughter, his deep dimples framing his wide, bright white smile, her head leaning on his shoulder.

The photograph was in the 2010 book “NFL Dads Dedicated to Daughters,” compiled to promote “thoughtful discussion about making the world a safer place for all women.”

On Page 90, Sharper wrote: “My daughter makes me mindful of how women are treated, undervalued and exploited.” He instructed men to “deal with women respectfully, honorably and fairly at all times.”

Now, four years later, Sharper is scheduled on Friday to be in a courtroom in California, one of five states where he is facing accusations of sexual assault. Since retiring from football in 2011, Sharper has been accused of being a serial rapist, drugging and assaulting nine women in California, Arizona, Nevada, Louisiana and Florida.

He has been formally charged in Maricopa County, Ariz., and Los Angeles, where he has been in jail without the possibility of bail since February. Having shined in his 14-year career with the Green Bay Packers, the Minnesota Vikings and the Saints, he will have an orange jumpsuit and handcuffs as his uniform Friday.

nyti.ms/1oWaV9d

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

This is the type of story along with Hernandez, brain injuries , etc, etc that
    make the Sam story a good diversion / offset.

Draft saved Draft deleted