1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Darlene Love's Final Letterman

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Dec 19, 2014.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

This was the only reason to watch Letterman in recent years.

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Letterman is worth watching once in a while,
    but Paul Shaffer jumped the shark a long time ago.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Reunion time!

garrow, matt_garth and Neutral Corner like this.
  5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Watched a Lettermen from 12-14-1989 on YouTube a couple of nights ago and the irreverence of it all is still amusing 30 years later, with Mike Aulby bowling in the hallway for no reason.

God I wish he would release whole episodes the way Carson's estate has. An entire generation now has no idea how good this guy was in his prime.

6. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Really looking forward to watching this. One of my great regrets is living a train ride from NYC and never trekking in for a Darlene Love episode. I have little doubt watching that live would have reduced me to a puddle of tears. Her voice and the orchestration is just so perfect every time. They made that the song of Christmas.

garrow likes this.
  7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

So good, but there was such a vibe to watching it at 12:30 a.m. that you'd never capture now by streaming reruns over dinner. The teenage me in 1989 felt like it was live.

8. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Dave moving to 5 days a week was a big deal because I could stay up late on Friday to watch him.

Dave doesn't own his Late Night shows to sell. Carson produced the show.

9. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Letterman’s shows were produced by Worldwide Pants, which he owns. Wouldn’t that make him the owner of his shows?

10. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Carson was a producer, so I think his company would have to sign off. The CBS show was owned by WWP.

11. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I don't think Carson's entity would be the issue - NBC still owns a portion of the show as well. WWP reached an agreement in February 2022 with NBC on Late Night's 40th anniversary to start allowing clips on YouTube. I think it's more likely that episodes end up on Peacock than any other service, since it is probably a non-starter for Letterman to get permission from NBC to show stuff on Netflix or Paramount (CBS), his two most recent broadcast partners.

Draft saved Draft deleted