1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Darkside of the Locker Room"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Apr 16, 2008.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Or I could have asked him if he could spell home run!

2. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I've only had a few major darkside moments, and probably only one that I would call nasty (meaning not your typical player or coach yelling in front of everyone that you misquoted them or took them out of context). It was a doozy, though, and it would probably out me if I discussed the details. Basically, it was an off-the-field story I broke that caused weeks of tense lockerroom moments between several players and coaches. I don't know how I managed to come out of that situation with sources I'll have the rest of my career, but I did, and that part of it helped restore my faith that some people in sports have souls.

I fully expect some players on every team to be complete dickheads all the time. It doesn't really bother me unless they make it personal. We're not there to be buddies, any way (though pleasant relationships certainly help). I can only speak for myself, but I wouldn't want to speak to the media several minutes every day — especially if everything I said and did was on the record. I don't think most of you would, either. I think we ought to remember that sometimes.

3. Overrated

Overrated Guest

It comes with the territory. They can deal with it.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Was Pearlman wearing his Kangol hat??

5. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Am I wrong in believing that Will Clark is one of the more universally loathed people in all of baseball? Having never covered MLB, I cannot speak on him from my own experience, but it seems like his legend is fairly well established as a bigot and all-around world champion jackass. So now that I have slanted my argument based on second-hand info, why would anybody doubt Pearlman here?

And anybody who can get their lanyard to stay turned the right way is a first-ballot HOFer. Aanybody who acts like it's a big deal to have it turned the wrong way is a first-rate dipshit.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I assume we're talking about the one-strand lanyard. Those kind twist around all the time.

Ah, but the two-strand lanyard -- y'know, which clips to the credential on the top right and left corners -- those pretty much stay face-forward all the time. Even better are the two-stranders that have a plastic sleeve hanging from them, into which you insert the credential of your choice.

Will Clark should have demanded that Pearlman replace his single with a double, right there at that moment. But then, Pearlman should have opted for the double one from the get-go, to demonstrate that he wasn't cowardly.

Class dismissed.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Clark maybe a dipshit, but if Pearlman considers that a bad confrontation in a MLB clubhouse, he's more of a wuss than I ever imagined.

You want confrontation, try Steve Serby-Richard Todd; Will McDonoough and whoever the Pats player was he punched out; Billy Martin and Henry Hecht; hell, Billy Martin and a cast of thousands.

Makes Clark being an asshole look like milquetoast.

8. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Good point and I think we've all seen lots worse than the Clark-Pearlman episode.

9. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I still wouldn't consider some of those things near as bad as what some women have gone through in the past.

10. Jones

Jones Active Member

The closest I've seen to an actual fight was Wally Matthews v. Todd Pratt during the 2000 World Series. The best part was, Pratt was the one telling Matthews to calm down. It was great.

Richard Griffin v. David Wells ("Towelgate") in Toronto was also quality.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Those are pretty tame stories compared to these stories from women.

12. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Thanks for linking, SC. That's exactly what I was referring to.

Draft saved Draft deleted