1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Darkside of the Locker Room"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Apr 16, 2008.

1. This ought to be intersting.
    Deadspin is asking for horror stories from former sportswriter who had back encounters with athletes.
    The link is to Jeff Pearlman's run-in with Will Clark.

http://deadspin.com/379815/will-clark-is-a-cackling-douche

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I didn't know the locker room had a bright side.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

If that's the worst treatment Pearlman received in the wake of the Rocker story, he should just shut up. He comes off as a self-important weeny when he talks about how "tough" he was with Clark, who I'd guarantee has a far different recollection of the incident.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I think that's the third installment of that feature.

I keep waiting on the nude Jim Fregosi story to be told there.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That was the dark side? You've got to be kidding me.

Obviously, Clark was a jerk. Doesn't surprise me from what I've heard of him and all Pearlman really did was quote the stupid shit Rocker said. My only problem was that the way he wrote the story, he either didn't realize how inflammatory Rocker's comments were or he intentionally buried them for some reason.

Then again, this is the same guy who turned the first few paragraphs of a story on David Wells into one long fat joke because Wells wouldn't talk to him, so nothing from Pearlman would surprise me. And I understand he was supposedly making some point with the way he wrote that lead. But to me, it read like a childish response by a reporter who was pissed that somebody wouldn't talk to him.

6. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Those stories are awful. "Hollis Thomas yelled in my ear" does not make for compelling drama.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I really hoped this was about a Larry Flynt production.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Pearlman had his badge turned around.

Pathetic.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Do you really think he did that on purpose?

10. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

You know they come on lanyards, so it could have flipped around. It happens.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Yeah, I don't really get that, Simon. Mine's almost never facing the right way. I just have to reach down and spin it around to get into the areas I need to get into.

12. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I heard he was also wearing Groucho glasses, staying in cognito.

Draft saved Draft deleted