1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dark cloud hanging over Baylor?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SpeedTchr, Aug 20, 2015.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Clear eyes. Full hearts. Don't matter.

LongTimeListener likes this.
  2. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

3. qtlaw24

qtlaw24 Active Member

Nice law school judge; did you get a free ice cream when you signed up? CLOWN making clown decisions.

I hope the victim gets enough $$ from Baylor to buy half of Texas.

4. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

Turns out, 180 days is the maximum the judge could give him because the jury recommended a probated sentence, per the Waco Trib's court guy.

As a journalist, my question is how much culpability does the Baylor beat reporters in the media deserve? I'm not counting Rivals/Scout/247 yokels, either, because their people that cover Baylor are far from journalists.

5. qtlaw24

qtlaw24 Active Member

Whaaaat?? The jury only recommended probation? My sincerest apologies your Honor. Texas law is screwed up.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Briles says Petersen never told him. "I was contacted by Coach Petersen at Boise State in spring 2013 and he told me he had a player from Texas who needed to get closer to home and that he thought our program would be a good spot for him," Briles said in a statement released by Baylor. "I know and respect Coach Petersen and he would never recommend a student-athlete to Baylor that he didn't believe in. In our discussion, he did not disclose that there had been violence toward women (by Ukwuachu), but he did tell me of a rocky relationship with his girlfriend which contributed to his depression. The only disciplinary action I was aware of were team-related issues, insubordination of coaches and missing practice."

Chris Petersen says he told Baylor Bears coach Art Briles about Sam Ukwuachu's violent past

School will launch investigation.

Baylor Says It Will Investigate Handling of Ukwuachu Case

I don't know if Briles survives this.

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yeah, this sure could get interesting for Briles.

8. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

180 days active for a sexual assault is ridiculous, even if it is a probationary sentence. If that was the most the judge could give under Texas law based on the jury's recommendation, then Texas law needs to be changed.

9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Bianchi brings it. (Registration required).
    Mike Bianchi: Baylor coach Art Briles should be fired, sued for bringing rapist onto campus

Briles, of course, should get whacked, but that'll never happen -- in part because Ken Starr will expend considerably less effort in this investigation than he did in another probe 15 years ago. And that probe, which made him a hero in the Official Party of Family Values and American Exceptionalism, explains why he is in his current position.

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Good stuff from Bianchi. And he's still taking shots at Jerry Greene. Sigh. I know he only does it in fun, but I've always thought it was childish.

You really think it'll never happen? I think it's better than 50/50 that it happens soon.

11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

If Briles goes down that will be one unbelievable rise and fall from high school coach to national championship contender at Baylor to fired in disgrace in a relatively short amount of time.

12. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

This paragraph from the Waco Tribune-Herald story sounds like a response to the Texas Monthly story that said the Waco media failed in its duties.

Draft saved Draft deleted