1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Danville (Va.) seeking sports copy editor/page designer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by DrewWilson, May 30, 2008.

1. DrewWilson

DrewWilson Member

Danville sports section varies between 3-7 pages. most of the time we average 4-5 a day. Reidsville/Eden are usually 2 pages each, but is 3 on Sundays. (But this hire is not expected to do all of those pages; he/she will share design duties with another Danville staffer. There will also be spot writing, including high school football)

Kick, I do not expect any section chops in the near future. However, I do know that we will be going to a 44-inch web within a year or so.

For what it's worth, this job is about as secure as you can find these days (if there is such a thing anymore). Danville has already gone through losses of vacant positions/non-newsroom cuts. MG is scheduled to cut a lot of jobs later this year, but I'm told that will mostly hit the MG metros, not us (I don't know for sure, just speculation).

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Great news!!! :-\ :'(

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Has MG made that public?

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Drew, hold the job open. I may need it. :)

5. DrewWilson

DrewWilson Member

Moddy, they publicly announced a month or so ago they were going to cut jobs by October (I'm pretty sure there was an AP story). I guess I should say that speculation is that those will come at the larger papers, but no one knows for sure. But obviously there is always more fat to trim at bigger papers rather than smaller ones. :-\

6. Moderator1

Corporate jobs, I thought. Some of those have already been cut.

7. DrewWilson

DrewWilson Member

Moddy, you are probably more in the know than I am. I was going by this...

"Of those job cuts, 745 are expected to come from newspapers and other publications, 45 from broadcast, and 20 from corporate staff departments. The company will increase jobs at its Interactive Media division by 60, Morton said."

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003807158

8. Moderator1

Damn. I missed that. That's a lot of jobs.
    I can't speak to all their papers but I don't see how my old paper can lose too many more and still publish. I think there were 18 openings when I left. Seven have departed since and I think they've only made one hire.

Draft saved Draft deleted