1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Danville (Va.) seeking sports copy editor/page designer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by DrewWilson, May 30, 2008.

1. DrewWilson

DrewWilson Member

Company: Danville Register & Bee
    Position:Danville Register & Bee seeking sports copy editor/page designer
    Job Status:Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires: July 4, 2008
    Job ID: 931014

Description:
    The Register & Bee is looking for a full-time sports copy editor/page designer to join its award-winning staff.

We want candidates who can demonstrate a high energy level and good organizational skills in order to produce cleanly designed pages. The Register & Bee has won several design and writing awards from the Virginia Press Association in recent years and also garnered an APSE writing award this year.

This position entails five nights each week of copy editing and page design, including section fronts. This person will help design the Register & Bee, as well as help design our smaller Rockingham County (N.C.) newspapers. They will also help copy edit pages and stories. There will be opportunities to help with our increasing multimedia efforts and there may be spot opportunities to write.

Our circulation area has three race tracks that host NASCAR and road racing events. Danville has a minor league baseball team, Division III college football, basketball and baseball, and high schools that regularly compete for state football, basketball and baseball titles.

The Danville Register & Bee is a daily newspaper with an average daily circulation of 21,500 and 24,000 on Sundays. We are located in south central Virginia, on the border of North Carolina. The area is central to Greensboro, N.C., Raleigh, N.C., Roanoke, Va., and Richmond, Va.

Tech Skills: Working knowledge of word processing equipment and pagination equipment, such as Quark Xpress and Photoshop.

Job Skills: Candidate must be committed to community journalism and have a strong interest and background in sports. Good grammar and spelling skills a must. Knowledge of AP style required.

Minimum Education: Bachelor’s degree preferred; high school diploma considered if applicant has prior newspaper experience.

Minimum Experience: Journalism experience preferred but will consider recent or soon-to-be college graduates with demonstrated ability.

How To Apply: Contact Drew Wilson, sports editor, by e-mail at cwilson@registerbee.com or mail cover letter, resume and writing and page design samples to Drew Wilson, sports editor, P.O. Box 331, Danville, VA 24543.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Drew,

Is Media General now asking the Register & Bee to help Eden, the county non-daily MG owns and Reidsville piece together their sports sections?

(Just curious ... I'm not looking to apply, but did talk to the people in Danville some years back. Arnold Hendrix came across as one of the good guys.)

3. DrewWilson

DrewWilson Member

Earlier this year, Eden/Reidsville moved its desk operations to Danville since we print the paper here. Three of their copy editors (two news, one sports) were moved to our office. One news copy editor left after two weeks and the sports copy editor left last weekend to move up north to be closer to his girlfriend.

The guy who left sports was a good guy, but more of a writer than a designer. When the desk operations got moved to Danville, he basically became design only, which wasn't his natural fit. So by hiring a full-time copy editor/designer, I'm hoping that will make the layout operation much faster and more smooth.

4. Bucknutty

Bucknutty Member

I'll be the first to say it.

Great place to work and Drew's a great guy to work for. Lots of opportunities to cover some great stuff in the area, and Yuengling on tap for $1 at Ham's. Can't go wrong.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Drew's established himself as a top-notch SE. The young bucks should be all over this one.

6. jeffpatterson

jeffpatterson New Member

Not only that, but the lucky "young buck" would get to work with Matt "You've got big arms" Fuchs and Jason "Turbo" Wolf.
    When was Yuengling only $1 at Ham's?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

ap style required? shit.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I guess this is their way of filling the position that got frozen a while back.

9. J.C. Wolf

J.C. Wolf Member

Jeff "Peaches" Patterson is off the team. :D

I know nothing of and would have been all over $1 Yuenglings at Ham's. Alas, my several months-long Ham's boycott just ended about a week ago. Damn delicious Tuesday cheeseburger specials...

And definitely wrong on this count. Peaches' position is the frozen one, and Peaches proved irreplaceable. Namely because we're not allowed to replace him. Budump bump.

This new spot is a direct result of the assimilation of the Reidsville/Eden desk staff into our office, and per Drew's earlier post, their sports guy who recently left. With the size of our sports staff, which stands at three after Peaches' departure, we physically can't lay out all three daily papers' sections without the local coverage taking a huge hit.

How many more Peaches can I call out Peaches for being Peaches in a single post?

Peaches. ;D

Peaches. ;D

hehehe

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Everyone, mark down the date on your calendars. This might be the last hire Media General EVER MAKES.

As an ex-Danvillian, I can attest to the decentness of the paper's sports section and the shittiness of Ham's. Can't imagine they've ever had $1 Yuenglings, but the one I went to last night had $1.25 PBR bottles.

At the rate they're going, they oughta just mercy kill Eden and Reidsville and create a N.C. version of the Bee.

And in deference to the importance of this thread, I'll withhold posting the Golden Skillet photo for at LEAST 24 hours.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Drewgie Wilson, SE, gets two thumbs up. And he's a ball of fun in the Martinsville press box.

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Speaking of fun at Martinsville

Draft saved Draft deleted