1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

D'Antoni Gone

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Mar 14, 2012.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't know if he fell apart or not, but his decline in production seemed to correlate with the arrival of another player.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

This is why ... as a Suns fan ... I had no problems letting Amare walk a few years back. Phoenix is a train wreck in its own rights, but paying $100M plus for Amare was certainly not the answer.

3. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Look at the link I provided. He was still getting his shots after Carmelo arrived. He just wasn't hitting them at the same percentage.

He was being talked about as an MVP candidate in the first half of the season. But after playing almost 40 minutes per game in December, the decline began, and really sped up the last 20 games or so. I know I can't be the only one who remembers this. There were multiple stories written about his playing time.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/stoudam01/splits/2011/

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

This guy lights a cigar and smiles.

[​IMG]

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Really 2 players. Anthony sucks up the ball and Chandler
    clogs up the area where Stoudemire likes to operate.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Hence my question.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Jackson coached four workaholics - Jordan, Pippen, Kobe and Shaq. Well, three...

There is no way he'd step into a Carmelo-led shitfest. This is New Yorkers thinking their franchise is more important than it is. They just had their every-40-years 15 minutes of fame, it lasted a month. Now its back to the same old same old that anyone under 50 can ever remember.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's funny, the only way I could see Jackson do this, would be for $250k for one year. He doesn't need the money and I'm sure he doesn't need the aggravation. But if the Knicks don't have multiple millions and years hanging over his head, Jackson would have the leverage, he could walk whenever Dolan looked at him the wrong way.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Your question is not relevant to my point, which is that Jackson does not need New York to validate his legacy.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

He could do that if he was being payed 10 mil per.

11. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Or if he gets an ownership percentage of the team. I kind of think he'd be more likely to come on-board as some sort of "special advisor" or executive role aka Pat Riley in Miami. Perhaps contingent on them hiring one of his former assistants (like Brian Shaw).

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

He's going to be considered one of the greatest coaches of all time regardless. Even if he never coached again or if he coached the Bobcats to an 0-82 season.

And I don't think that he needs to prove that he can win with any cast -- he's too old and has too much coin to worry about hat.

However, I think that doing it with the Knicks would be special to him. Not because it is the greatest city in the history of mankind. But because of his special connection with the team and the fans.

Draft saved Draft deleted