1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Danny Knobler to CBSSports.com

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, May 30, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

This has to be a d_b. Surely this has been discussed?

Anyway, I read a bunch of his stuff a while back when I was involved in a job up Detroit way. I thought he did a very nice job on the Tigers.

Here's his first piece: http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/story/10847710

Brother of AJC's Mike Knobler, who hangs here now and then and is also very, very good at his job. Good guy, too.

Danny to CBSSports.com is a great get for them, another key loss for newspapers.

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Re: Danny Knobler to Sportsline

Gotta love Web site readers. Here it is, respected baseball writer Knobler's first piece for CBS Sports.com, and what's the first thing we see at the end of it? This comment from someone whose handle is TulolsJesus10 (at least until some editor there rightfully takes it down):

What does Danny Knobler look like to you?
    Deli Shop owner?
    Future petaphile?
    NYC Cop?

Long live the interwebs!

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Ah, well, it's all part of the package. Websites with big communities get their good, and plenty of bad.

Danny Knobler is indeed a great get for the Website No Longer Known as SportsLine (wink at Moddy).

4. Moderator1

Petaphile? Jeez. Scary thing is their vote counts the same as ours.

It's in my bookmarks as Sportsline. Yeesh. What is it called now?

5. Joe Williams

They're billing themselves now as CBSSports.com. You can see it up by their search function, top of home page. But when I type that into my browser, it defaults to "cbs.sportsline" construction. Oh well.

Scarier than these jackass commenters' votes counting the same as ours is that their Web clicks count the same as intelligent folks' when the beancounters start tallying what stories matter and what stories don't.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I'll give you that it's slightly confusing because URLs with that name still direct you to the website, but corporately and brand wise, the name is now CBSSports.com, and SportsLine is officially no more.

7. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Danny is one of the best baseball reporters in the country. He got a bit overshadowed by not working for one of the Detroit metros, and instead of complaining or promoting himself, he just did a great job. Terrific hire, and a good match with Scott Miller, who has the same qualities.

8. Moderator1

Fixed. I like accuracy.
    And I'm not a petaphile.

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

In a strictly generic sense, as long as they're generating page views, they're generating money, but also, in my experience at my place, it's understood that the column and a lot of comments generated by it are all part of the same important package.

10. Joe Williams

I just prefer those sites that link to the comments or have a "Show Comments" button, so that you're not immediately going from the final sentence of some journalist's legit work to some knucklehead typing "I'm FIRST!" or the crap that showed up here about "petaphile."

Lot of folks I know, me included, rarely are curious what other readers think of a story or column. I just want to read the story in question or that particular writer.

11. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I know. The cat just ran away.

12. Moderator1

Crossthreading, Mike is now the Thrashers beat writer at the AJC and I suspect he'll do a hell of a job with that like he did with GT.
    I'm not a soccer guy but I read Mike's stuff from the World Cup. He's versatile enough to cover just about anything.

Draft saved Draft deleted