1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Danielle Pletka Schools Affleck & Maher on HBO

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Deeper_Background, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Danielle Pletka is the vice president for foreign and defense policy studies at AEI. Her research areas include the Middle East, South Asia, terrorism, and weapons proliferation. While at AEI, Ms. Pletka has developed a conference series on rebuilding post-Saddam Iraq and a project on democracy in the Arab world. She recently served as a member of the congressionally-mandated Task Force on the United Nations, established by the United States Institute of Peace. Before coming to AEI, she served for ten years as a senior professional staff member for the Near East and South Asia on the U.S. Senate Committee on Foreign Relations.

With such a pedigree, Affleck was disgracefully outclassed in this debate; Pletka countered his typical liberal hogwash with ease and aplomb:

Look, it’s really pleasant to believe that George Bush saying the “Axis of Evil” made everybody a part of the Axis of Evil. North Korea was discovered with a nuclear weapons program back in 1993. They pulled out of the Nonproliferation Treaty during the Clinton administration. They cheated on the Agreed Framework with the United States in 1998. So, they were being bad before.

Round one to Pletka. As Affleck lay twitching in the corner, Danielle went after Maher when he said of the Bush administration’s foreign policy: “You know, they call it ‘moral clarity.’ But, it’s really simplistic and childish. I’m sorry.”

Pletka: You want a foreign policy with nuance. You want the president to stand up and say: “You know what? The North Koreans, they’re quite bad, because they have a smaller nuclear weapon, and the Iranians, they’re a little bad.” C’mon. These are our enemies. (some side chatter) But people who are talking about, who want to destroy the United States, who say that they want to…

Maher: No they don’t.

Pletka: Excuse me. President Ahmadinejad has said…

Maher: Okay. I thought we were talking about North Korea…

Pletka: President Kim has said…

Maher: …he wants to destroy Israel.

Pletka: No, he has said he wants to destroy the United States.

Maher: I missed that one.

Pletka: Oh, yeah, well you did. And you missed something good.

Maher: He wants to destroy the United States?

Pletka: That’s right. These aren’t nice people, and we ought to believe them when they say they want to kill us, because invariably they have those aims.

Round two clearly went to Pletka, as a wobbly Maher was lucky the bell sounded before the referee called the fight. Feeling woozy and foolish, Affleck wanted more of the conservative when he said: “You are encouraging terror, and that makes minds smaller and people more defensive.” Pletka struck back: “I’m not encouraging terror. Calling a murderer a murderer does not encourage terror.”

Maher then tried tag-teaming Pletka, to no avail:

Even James Baker, excuse me, who is the old man’s consiglieri, right, even he said this week it’s not appeasement to talk to your enemies. Now either Bush the first is correct, or either this Bush is correct. You can’t...

Pletka: So we’re going from the nuanced world of Ben to the one is right or one is wrong world?

Maher: I’m asking which one is correct.

Pletka: I don’t think either of them are right.

Maher: You have to choose.

Pletka: No, I don’t have to choose.

Maher: Logically, you have to choose.

Pletka: Bill Maher, you’re not the boss of me, and I don’t have to choose.

Maher was knocked down by that blow. But, the best was yet to come, as Pletka continued:

I’m sorry. We did talk to the North Koreans for a long time, and they cheated, and they developed more nuclear weapons. Talking is sometimes a bad idea.

Pletka had Maher against the ropes, and moved in for the kill when the host brought up the report last week claiming that 655,000 Iraqis have been killed since the start of the war. Pletka, smelling blood, went for the KO:

From left to right, people who understand about doing these sorts of studies agree that thing is horse manure if I can say that on cable TV. It is absolute rubbish. (side chatter) I’m sorry, my children are watching. Seriously speaking, you can say that people have died…

Maher: Whatever…

Pletka: No, no, it’s not whatever. You’ve got to remember that a million people have died under Saddam Hussein…

Maher: Excuse me kids, but stop watching…what ass did you pull that out of?

Pletka: I pulled that out of the U.N. ass.

Maher: Hey, your kids are watching.

Pletka: Yeah, I know, but they saw the first ass!

At that point, the referee called the fight…winner, and extraordinarily whipping two liberals seemingly with one brain tied behind her back, Danielle Pletka.

2. Re: Danielle Pletka Schools Affleck & Maher on Friday

Well, that's certainly bullshit.

3. Deeper_Background

Re: Danielle Pletka Schools Affleck & Maher on Friday

Maher is an unhinged madman. He thinks Saddam was running Iraq better before the invasion?

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

He was running Iraq better. It's in all the papers.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Bill Maher = failed comic turned politcal pundit.
    Ben Affleck = bad actor turned politicla activist

Neither is exactly a policy-maker, opinon-shaper or spokesman for anything or anyone I know.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

d_b obviously moving a few days ahead in his blog of the day calendar.

7. Deeper_Background

The Villiage Voice?

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Seriously, though. Four years ago, all you had to worry about was Saddam and his thugs.

Now you gotta worry about Shiites, Sunnis, trigger-happy Americans, imported wackos, etc.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

For Maher, it's all schtick. For the right price he'd be Morton Downey III.

Affleck? who the fuck cares, he's a fluffer for Barbra Steisand

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I notice Lou Dobbs was on the panel, too.

I assume he didn't school anyone then.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Dobbs came off as practical and reasonable.

I've never watched his show, so I won't comment any further.

Draft saved Draft deleted