1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Daniel Tosh and Rape Jokes

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Riptide, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

This fuckstick is and always has been sociologically useless, and is a terrific advertisement for the merits of broadcast censorship, as well as a marvelous prospect for beta testing for creative methods of suicide.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

And there's another good one.

Although, Wahoo decrying someone for being offensive might be the funniest joke of all.

3. You show me a politically correct comedian and I'll show you an unfunny one.

4. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

What I don't understand about this is if she was that offended, why didn't she just leave? I hate it when I'm at a comedy show and someone who I didn't pay to see thinks they're part of the act and starts heckling.

It's OK to be offended but the rest of the audience isn't there to see you so shut up and leave if you hate it that much.

5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

This is part of the reason Dave Chappelle stopped performing, I believe. There's a bootleg recording of him at the Funny Bone, and while he is funny in it, the thing that struck me is how melancolie he is about getting constantly interrupted. He even brings it up - about how he can't go places with his kids, because people would yell, "I'm Rick James bitch!" - and the people at the club keep on saying shit during his set anyway.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

That's like saying you can't go to a political rally of a fascist nut and interrupt him too much, because you wouldn't want to inject too much truth into the conversation.

Why otherwise intelligent people defend dreck like rape jokes is beyond me. They don't need defending. They need to be heckled.

7. schiezainc

If you were at a kid's balloon show with a clown named Bobo and Bobo started making those jokes, sure. But you know what you're getting when you go to a Daniel Tosh show and, if you didn't know, shame on you.

You can't pay for something and then object when someone gives you what you paid for. It's like going to a George Carlin show and being offended at his anti-religion jokes, going to a Dane Cook show and being offended that he's talking about sex or going to a Carrot Top show and being offended that he's using props to illustrate his point.

That's who these people are. If you can't handle their routine, go see something/someone else.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Again: Substitute "political fascist rally" for "Tosh show" and tell me your analogy still stands. Tosh can tell all kinds of funny jokes. But rape is not funny. Or, better said: A joke about it could never be funny enough to blot out the singular horror of it.

And if we extrapolate your point out to its logical conclusion, it becomes: Never buy a ticket to a Tosh show unless you're prepared to love it. Because if you don't, it's your fault for not "getting" it enough to know the guy is, what, inherently funny to those whom find him inherently funny? Huh? The tyranny of the artist?

Tosh gets to tell the jokes. He doesn't get to control the reaction, or spin it into some fantasy of "if you don't find it funny, it's your mistake for projecting expectations on me that it would be." A lot of comics do that, or would like to, and Jon Stewart, as an example, is an expert at demanding, in all seriousness, that nobody ever take him so seriously as to hold him to any kind of standard. There's a descriptive word for this "if you understood, you'd understand" worldview: Bullshit.

9. schiezainc

You're completely in the wrong here.

It's one thing to be offended by something someone says. It's another to disrupt a show that you have no business disrupting simply so you can get your point of view across because you feel like you're important enough to do so.

I'm not defending Daniel Tosh. I couldn't give less of a shit about Daniel Josh. My problem lies with the audience member who felt her point of view was so important that it trumped the rest of the room's right to see what they paid for.

You say we should sub in "political fascist rally" for "Tosh show". OK. Let's do that.

Let's say you paid to go to a rally where you knew the main speaker was going to spew hate and evil and a bunch of other bad things. The rest of the audience did the same. What gives you the right to bitch about something you don't agree with after you bought your ticket knowing full well what was going to go down?

And I'm not saying you have to like every joke or point made. I'm only saying that in a scenario like this, you get what you pay for and, if you don't like it, get up, walk out and leave.

It's not fair to the other audience members who weren't offended and/or found the joke funny to derail the routine simply because you were offended.

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Scheiz taking down an argument by Alma. This is the kind of thing that makes this place fascinating.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He did it pretty well too...

12. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

The best part is, Schiez most assuredly had his ass plastered to a toilet seat while typing that.

Draft saved Draft deleted