1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Daniel Day Lewis is Lincoln; No, Seriously

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by NDub, Dec 2, 2011.

1. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

My God, some of those casting decisions are right on. The resemblances are uncanny.

2. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

It was a sled ridden by a man who was actually a woman and who was a ghost the whole time. Oh, and a Russian spy named Kaiser Soze.

3. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

I can't take anymore..

But tell me, please, what Dooley said about Starland Vocal Band on the Beatles thread isn't true, is it? That's such a nice, poppy-feeling song! The band worked the bar circuit for years before they had a hit, just like the band Boston.

4. NDub

NDub Guest

I still don't get how someone can hate DDL, but whatever.

He really immerses himself in roles. He'll live like that character in and out of filming. Like right now he's calling his wife "Mary Todd" even though that's obviously not her real name. There's a fine line between genius and insanity.

From his Wiki:

"...he is a method actor, known for his constant devotion to and research of his roles.[2] Often, he will remain completely in character for the duration of the shooting schedule of his films, even to the point of adversely affecting his health.[3]"

5. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

By the way, if Daniel Day Lewis is looking for a place to grab a late drink, I'd be more than happy to meet him at Have a Nice Day Cafe. It's the cultural centerpoint of Shockoe Bottom!

6. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Like I said, for me, it's irrational, but this kind of shit doesn't help his cause with me.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Now that Club Velvet is closed?

8. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Well, Club Rouge might step up to the plate in that spot now that they have their liquor license.

Now that I'm unemployed, I should walk over there with my few singles and have a good time.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Exactly. It's shit like this that makes people find him annoying.

Reminds me of a great quote -- Dustin Hoffman said he went three days without sleep to play his character in "Marathon Man." Sir Laurence Olivier said "My dear boy, why don't you try acting?"

10. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

But he helped shoe the good people of Wisconsin.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I don't think there is any acting going on here.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Very true. It's one thing to research your role (such as visiting a newsroom if you're going to be a reporter). It's another thing to totally lose your sanity by not being able to tell fiction from reality.

Draft saved Draft deleted