1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Danica Patrick wins first race

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BTExpress, Apr 20, 2008.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

There's a listen-only teleconference in about an hour. FWIW.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

And, by the way, we're going big with it Monday at my direction ... but mostly because it's a slow day from our perspective.

3. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

It took about thirty minutes after the race to see that argument from Champ Car nuts who remind me of the Germans who kept fighting long after the war was over.

However, most of the Champ Car guys were multiple laps down in the previous oval race, so I don't think they would've made a difference at Motegi, save for being rolling chicanes. They'll be backmarkers/chicanes again at Kansas next week, and then get their oval chops up when they get, basically, three full weeks of oval testing at Indianapolis.

Most of the pundits will be all over the fuel mileage thing. Graham Rahal won two weeks ago on pit strategy & fuel mileage, and there wasn't much squawking then. Last year's IRL championship was won on the final turn of the final lap, when Scott Dixon ran out of fuel. Heck, if it weren't for pit mistakes, Sam Hornish probably wouldn't have won the 2006 Indy 500 (he re-pitted when everyone else stayed out, got a lap back, moved up front when everyone else pitted in the last 10 laps, which put him in position to win the race), and Danica Patrick wouldn't have been in position to win the 2005 Indy 500 (she got on an alternate pit strategy after two on-track incidents, and took the lead when others pitted. Wheldon clearly had a faster car than her that day -- and while she led late, she was passed by Wheldon, Meira and Kanaan in the closing laps).

4. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

I figure you mean that in jest, but ...

Given Danica's not-so-friendly departure from Rahal-Letterman Racing a couple of years ago, probably not :).

Of course, Graham Rahal got on Letterman a few days ago, but Dave's connections with Graham's dad probably had something to do with that.

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Bob Margolis comments, bucket of water in hand.

http://sports.yahoo.com/irl/news?slug=bm-patrick042008&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

6. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

As many of the above posters said, strategy plays a huge part in racing. Kudos to the team for coming up with it, and to Patrick for pulling it off. Team Penske and Castroneves tried the same thing and could not.
    Kleeda is spot on: A win is a win is a win. And for Patrick, the first of many. The kid can drive.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Didn't need to wait for the screaming heads. Yeesh.

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Margolis comes across as another shitweasel who's terrified of anyone with a uterus.

Anyone with any understanding of the current state of American open wheel racing who suggests this win is slightly tainted by the fact that the ex-Champ Car guys weren't there is a liar or an imbecile. It's very unlikely any of them would have finished on the lead lap.

And to suggest a win is lessened because it is based on a superior team strategy is just dumb.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I know Bob Margolis, and I can promise you he is neither a shitweasel, nor afraid of uterii.

I did think that column was a bit weak (he argued both sides) but I didn't take it as him trying to keep women down.

10. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

It looks like this guy knows racing lingo but doesn't get it. Bob, old boy, it works like this: If you finish ahead of everybody else, you have won. You get the hat in victory lane, the big trophy, and your name in the record book. Been that way since 1895. Simple, eh?
    And sorry that Bruno Junquiera wasn't in the field, but outfoxing the best Indycar team in history and roaring past a two-time winner of the Indianapolis 500 with four miles to go will just have to do.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Margolis' lead, "Danica Patrick’s first IndyCar win in the Japan 300 was more a triumph in public relations than auto racing", was complete garbage. The rest of the piece was OK (I don't agree with the arguments but they're fair columnist fodder), but that was a very unfair first line.

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

And then there's this gem in the second line.

Straw man much?

Also, the bit where he prattles about how the field was devoid of the last two series champions: I guess that means no one can win a race legitimately anymore?

Draft saved Draft deleted