1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Danica Patrick wins first race

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BTExpress, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

did she rip off her shirt in celebration?

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Danica Patrick, meet Buster Douglas.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

And the snarking-fratboy crowd, as it customarily does at the sight of any female anywhere having any athletic success whatsoever, feels its teeny-weeny peenises shrink just a little bit teenier, and rushes to the message boards to compensate.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Any papers that got it in was gravy.

It was a Sunday race (in Japan) that will make many Sunday U.S. newspapers.

And those papers have plenty of time for good pop on Monday . . . which is when the normal display would have been had the race been held anywhere else.

So Danica gets a potential two days of coverage . . . vs. one had she won the race at 6 p.m. on Sunday EDT.

Although there likely will be people who are hesitant to give it good play Monday "because it's 24 hours old."

Just hope I do not have to argue its importance when I come in this afternoon.

5. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

AP eventually moved an 13"er on it. Not sure how late they moved it, though. In plenty of time for me.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

1. For a driver in any form of motor racing, a win in Japan is maybe commercially more useful than one in the U.S. that isn't Indy, Daytona, Brickyard, Miami, etc. I'd be willing to bet Patrick's win makes a YourTelecommunicationFirmHere Cup NASCAR race in Tokyo a cinch within three years.

2. I always rated her a good driver a rung below the top. Maybe she's ready to move up.

3. Nobody, I hope, in sports journalism is so dumb as to discount a fuel management win. Wins count when the winning run is walked in, don't they?

7. lono

lono Active Member

Fixed.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Guess I know who the guest will be on Letterman on Monday. ;D

We got it in, but we had to put it inside. We waited 40 minutes for the five-incher as well. Getting art to use took a little digging, too. She'll get B1 play today from us, but Stars-Ducks Game 6 will be our lead story.

For attention from the racing community, it helps that the Sprint Cup is taking the week off, although a lot of Nationwide-whackers will be racing in Mexico.

9. Speedway

Speedway Member

Miami a big race? Maybe back in the 80s in downtown, but these days no way.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

You're right, Football_Bat, Sprint Cup having the week off is huge. In fact, Danica probably ruined a lot of NASCAR-centric motorsports writers' weekends; if they weren't in Mexico City then they were likely taking a weekend off, but today they're probably scrambling to throw together something.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I note that one of the ESPN channels is showing the race now at lunchtime EDT. So I think the people who said this will get major follow-up coverage are correct.

12. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

We got in on the cover for final. It was amazing that by the time the race ended there were NO pictures from the race. For a while, the only Danica picture was from two days ago. When they finally moved a "celebration" picture, it sucked.

Draft saved Draft deleted