1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Danica Patrick wins first race

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BTExpress, Apr 20, 2008.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I noticed yesterday when the race got delayed that AP didn't have anyone in Japan. I had to write our brief about it off the IndyCar site's press release, which was painful to read, let alone use as a source of information.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

But, of course, if a big NASCAR name wins, it gets at least 20 inches.

No offense meant to Jenna Fryer, Mike Harris and the AP folks who take of NASCAR ... they do good work. But this is big, and it sounds as if AP is blowing this one.

As ignorant as "Around the Horn" was regarding the situation involving Patrick Roy and his son in junior hockey, I fear how badly they will botch up Danica's victory.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Fuck Around The Horn. Who gives a shit what those assholes think?

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I think AP decided to sort of blow off the Japan race to do a blowout on tomorrow's (today's?) final Champ Car race. I can't say I'd argue with that decision. Hindsight's 20/20, and before Danica's win, the final Champ Car race was a bigger story.

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Guess that guy who said she should be in the kitchen barefoot and pregnant finally has a reason to grab a bottle of STFU.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Agreed. But still ... five inches on Danica's win almost 45 minutes after the checkered flag?

After reading Doc's post, I strongly assume that was all AP did. It wasn't a CYA maneuver with a token five-inch story strictly intended to keep the female readership at bay.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I understand why no one would blow out Japan. The original start time was midnight eastern Friday before the rain delay pushed it to 10 p.m. ET Saturday. But there had to be some kind of Danica contingency plan in place for AP. Have a skeleton of a story ready including some of the bigger female sports feats (ESPN had that on the broadcast, with typos like "Billy Jean King", but at least the effort was there), something, anything.

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Good for Danica. (And I watched a good chunk of the race but didn't see the finish, and didn't know until now who won. Grrr.)

One thing about the Champ Car guys not being there -- it doesn't make a bit of difference, because the Champ Car guys aren't going to be running at the front on an oval yet. They can do it on a road course but they haven't had nearly enough time with the cars to get the oval setup right.

Also, anyone who actually tries to make the fuel mileage argument is a twit. Racing involves strategy. Hers was better.

And I'm not sure the fact that the race is in Japan is really that unfortunate for IndyCar. Outside of Indy the typical sports fan isn't paying attention. Winning in Kansas wouldn't be any bigger in terms of publicity.

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I only said that because I have a foot thing need someone who can make pot roast and love me was drunk.

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Honestly, I think if they had a good inkling she'd win, they'd blow it out. At this stage of the Indy game, she's heads and shoulders the biggest name out there. God knows TV needs her to win to generate more than the sliver of a rating open-wheel gets in America.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I heard this on the radio coming home from Baltimore.

Good on her.

12. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

Further proof that even a blind squirrel finds a nut if it looks hard enough.

Draft saved Draft deleted