1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Danica Patrick wins first race

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BTExpress, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

If you mean in the historical context, yes, a female was going to win race.

If you mean Danica herself, it was no lead-pipe cinch. The rumblings had been getting louder by the year that she was a gimmick who didn't have the chops to win.

Even I called her out for her road course acumen on the open wheel thread as recently as the last race. So this win is not only historic, it shuts a lot of people up who didn't see that she had the talent to win on an oval, and who can no longer accuse her of being a gimmick. The list of active open-wheel winners is not very long, and she just joined the club.

And for those in the open-wheel know, she did it WITH weight added to her car, a significant topic of grousing from fellow drivers since she entered the series.

2. Bubbler

In a way, it might be better because this story will get an extra day of legs in many newspapers. I already told our deskers to make it our Monday package.

I'm very happy I made the call to stop the press and get it in ... unless I get fired of course. :-\

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I hate to be this way, since it's not really my area of expertise, but haven't all the really good open-wheel drivers died or left for NASCAR or retired?

I'm delighted for her and the sport, but isn't her winning at this point like a guy winning the major league batting title while all the good players were gone to fight in World War II?

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I don't think so. IndyCar regulars like Castroneves, Kanaan, Wheldon, Dixon are world-class, just not American. Yes, the series is missing the Foyt/Andretti/Unsers of old, but the young'uns like Marco Andretti and Graham Rahal are/will be the real deal.

One nit that you'll read about is that Danica's win was not in the unified series. This weekend they were split one last time with the old Champ Car teams running at Long Beach.

5. Bubbler

No. There were three Indianapolis 500 winners in the field, she beat a legit field. The only knock I can see, and it would be unfortunate because she has no control over it, is that the Champ Car drivers weren't in the race.

For those who don't know, one by-product of the IRL-Champ Car reunification is that it came so late (February) that they couldn't solve a date conflict with Motegi (an important race given that Honda supplies the engines) and Champ Car's Long Beach GP (a historic F1 and pre-split CART open-wheel venue).

So there are two races this weekend: Motegi with the old-line IRL cars, and Long Beach with the old-line Champ Car teams. After this weekend, starting with next weekend's race at Kansas City, they are together for good.

6. Give SC credit cause they are doing an extensive live interview with her right now.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Bet the house on this...someone will write that this is somehow less than monumental because it was a fuel-mileage win. With a half-dozen or so laps to go, Danica was around sixth place but several lead cars had to pit for gas. Castroneves while leading appeared to run dry with two laps left, Danica just blew past him.

That's not me talking -- I know racing enough to know that you win races in all kinds of ways and none need excuses. But look for that argument from some of the Around the Horn-esque unwashed on Monday.

8. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

It would be easy to say "She fucking won?", but the gentleman in me will tip my hat to her in getting off of the "good looking chicks who haven't won a damn thing" list.

Now, Danica, let's use this Japan 300 win and parlay that into a win at Indy, Miami, or one of the big races. ;D

9. John

John Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing, in regard to some folks' reactions to it.

10. Bubbler

Sadly, you're probably right.

Of course they won't know that the list of racers who have fuel-mileage wins is long and prestigious. You have to manage your car to get there, it's not as if it's a fluke.

11. John

John Well-Known Member

Agreed. No different that saving your tires.

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

We were able to get it in. A refer on the front and a five-inch story (which was all they moved in 40 fucking minutes) inside.

Draft saved Draft deleted