1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dangerous Religious Nutballs

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Jul 9, 2007.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Honestly, I have no idea why I had to google that nutjob. He should have been in the headlines too. And I hope I didn't imply that the Islamic threat is the ONLY one either. It's clearly not and on an individual basis there will be definite domestic threats to rival the intentions of other terrorists that generate more attention. I'll readily concede that.

2. The problem is that there's a lot of the Christian Identity/White Power domestic terrorism agitating going on under the radar, and the concentration on goofy-ass "Islamofacist" plots like the ones in NJ and Florida help that happen. Otherwise, I agree with you.

3. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

There's only one rule about destroying property in the name of God: Can't talk about destroying property in the name of God.
    These little vermin are spreading the Gospel According to Eric Rudolph.

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Paul Krugman lies about William Krar
    In Tuesday’s New York Times, Paul Krugman rants like a mad lunatic about a guy named William Krar who plead guilty in November, 2003 to one count of Possessing a Dangerous Chemical Weapon.

Krugman wants you to think that there is some kind of big cover-up, and that John Ashcroft is ignoring the huge problem of domestic terrorism and only focusing on the much smaller problem of Islamic terrorism.

The problem is that there isn’t any evidence that this guy is anything but a nutty survivalist who likes to stockpile a bunch of weapons just in case the country goes into civil disorder. According to CNN.com, “investigators said they were unable to determine exactly what he intended to do with the arsenal.” (link) For the guy to be a “terrorist,” he has to be part of an organization and have actual plans to commit terrorist acts. There is none of that in this story. No plans, and no organization except one friend he had in New Jersey.

Apparently, the FBI did an extensive investigation and didn’t find anything. The article at CNN says, “The findings led to one of the most extensive investigations of domestic terrorism since the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing.” After this big extensive investigation, the only people convicted of any crimes are William Klar, his friend form New Jersey, and his common-law wife.

Meanwhile Krugman’s article contains an outright lie. Krugman writes:

In April 2003, John Ashcroft's Justice Department disrupted what appears to have been a horrifying terrorist plot. In the small town of Noonday, Tex., F.B.I. agents discovered a weapons cache containing fully automatic machine guns, remote-controlled explosive devices disguised as briefcases, 60 pipe bombs and a chemical weapon — a cyanide bomb — big enough to kill everyone in a 30,000-square-foot building.”

As I said, there was no evidence of any “horrifying plot,” but that I’ll just call puffing. The lie is that Paul Krugman says the FBI found a “chemical weapon—a cyanide bomb”. According to the actual DOJ/FBI press release, there was no cyanide bomb. What was found was sodium cyanide, plus other chemicals that might be mixed with it to create cyanide gas. According to CNN, there were “nearly two pounds of almost pure sodium cyanide.” By itself, powdered sodium cyanide just sits there and isn’t that deadly unless you eat it. Sodium cyanide by itself is not a bomb. When chemical precursors to bombs were found in Iraq, liberals like Krugman laughed and said “ha ha this doesn’t count as chemical weapons.” What hypocrisy from the liberal left!

5. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

For a "Libertarian" you seem to do most of your cutting and pasting from conservative websites. Odd.

6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

That just proves anybody can google, cut and paste, not just the liberals who so dominate these threads.

7. Yes. Paul Krugman cut and pasted this lunatic into federal prison.
    (Really, zag. Calicocat.com?)
    http://media.www.dailytexanonline.com/media/storage/paper410/news/2004/05/04/StateLocal/Man-Pleads.Guilty.To_Owning.Cyanide-677872.shtml

8. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Zag, does it not strike you rhetorically odd that in the article you posted, the writer refutes one assertion of the Mainstream Media (Krugman), by citing assertions made by another member of the Mainstream Media (CNN) - and then condemns the entirety of the Mainstream Media?

9. And, in other news, Falwell's old mouthpiece says HRC is not a real Christian.
    http://www.sacbee.com/110/story/264352.html
    That, combined with that idiot Fr. Neuhaus's assertion the other day that Mormonism is thought by "some" to be a "false religion," and we see what great results can come from throwing religion into a secular debate.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter.
    According to the Vatican, anything other than Catholicism is a "false religion"

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

The Vatican calling other religions "false." Just like they protect pedophile priests.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

How about the Justice Department launches a massive RICO prosecution against the Catholic Church (transferring and transporting sexual predators across state lines to escape prosecution), all the way up to the top bishops in the country ?? That might liven things up a little bit. ;) ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted