1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dangerous Religious Nutballs

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Jul 9, 2007.

1. But not brown ones, so it's not a national story.

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/story/161625.html

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Wow. Wild story, especially the part about "consensual fighting." Where does it promote that idea in the Bible? Seriously...

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Yep, Fenian Bastard is the model of tolerance and diversity and has no ill-feelings or hatred for religion, God or anyone whose religious beliefs don't allow for his kookacracy.

How many posts before he, or AdifferentOKie or Big Ragu begins trying to compare this group to the mainstream conservative christian movement?

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

But Christians don't blow things up.

I know I read that somewhere...

5. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

This is off topic, but it's an excellent article (from yesterday's Boston Globe) about how evangelical Christianity lost its way when it cozied up to Bush.

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/ideas/articles/2007/07/08/god_and_country/?page=full

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

WTF does that even mean? If you're a level 2 member of this group is it like Fight Club?

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Wow, Boomer, that was a hell of a read.

The last paragraph:
    But if Franklin Graham speaks truthfully of the Christian faith and its mission in the world -- as many evangelicals seem to believe -- then we should have none of it. Rather, we should join the ranks of righteous unbelievers and big-hearted humanists who rage against cruelty and oppression with the intensity of people who live fully in this world. I am certain that it would be better for Christians to stand in solidarity with compassionate atheists and agnostics, firmly resolved against injustice and cruelty, than to sing "Amazing Grace" with the heroic masses who cannot tell the difference between the cross and the flag.

Thanks for the link...

8. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

Evangelicals lost their way when the Republican Party realized the loose band of organizations could be treated the way blacks are treated by the Democrats; so dependable as voters that their concerns are irrelevant. That could change, but I'll believe it when I see it.

And Fens, this is just boys being boys in Burleson. Sometimes you just gotta blow stuff up.

9. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Boomer, it actually cozied up to Reagan when Falwell, Robertson, and Company started pushing the Moral Majority cart in the late 70's. Thomas Jefferson was spot-on when he said that when religion tries to cross into the political world, it becomes a dangerous path.

10. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Here we go -- never one to let us down -- Zeke the mushhead takes the first of what will surely be many cheap shots at conservative Christians by trying to link them to a couple of loosely organized whackos.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

That's quite a leap there, zag.

I merely repeated what others have said on this very board.

Read Boomer's link when you have time. Some good stuff in there you might consider, if you can get someone to read the big words to you.

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Let's be intellectually honest here, Fenian. A couple of looney tunes with some firecrackers in a bottle aren't quite the same as a few carbombers or anything else that Islamic terrorists have been doing lately. Sure they're a threat, but they were going for a church under construction that was empty, not throngs of people going about their business. That's probably why no one cares too much. Church arsons happen more than terror attacks, and that's what this appears to be, their religious wackiness not withstanding.

Draft saved Draft deleted