1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dangerous assignments

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by roxraidersfan, Jan 5, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

You didn't get robbed. That was good. You survived. That was good. I suggest you go back there tonight and even things up with a little help from your friend. ;D

2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I had a car break down in Hawaiian Gardens. Before the days of cellphones.
    Anyone know Hawaiian Gardens? It is the most ill-named place in the history of Earth.
    There are no gardens and it really doesn't resemble anything close to Hawaii.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

only time i was ever briefly frightened was covering a h.s. hoops game in '81 at boys & girls high in brooklyn during the pearl washington years. pulled my '80 celica into the lot by the gym. a bunch of youths were checking out the wheels and sizing me up.

thankfully, one of the youths told the others, "yo, be cool -- that's shockey from the ny gazette. he must be here to see pearl. he's cool."

yeah, i was cool -- just needed an underwear change.

4. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Two words: Hurricane Katrina.

5. A loose ball flew off a basketball court and spilled a Coke all over my notebook and stats once. And I was writing in marker, not pen or pencil. True story.

More seriously, any football or basketball game where fans storm the field/court would qualify. Generally speaking, they have no regard for anybody in their way, least of which would be a 160-pound sports writer. I've been bumped hard but never gone down. Doesn't sound all that dangerous, but I've been in the middle of a handful that have genuinely made me worry for my own safety.

6. Oh, yeah, I don't care for that experience, either.

Draft saved Draft deleted