1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dane Cook, you're not funny

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Clubber_Slang, Sep 7, 2006.

1. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Cook is chicken soup for the people who think some guy saying "itchy asshole" is cause for laughter. He shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as Bill Hicks. Hicks' bit on hooligans is funnier than anything Cook could ever pull out of his ass. And knowing his shtick, that'll be Cook's next tour: "Dane Cook: Pulling Shit Out of my Ass".

80% of the hacks on BET's Comicview are better than Cook.

Mencia's stand up is very good. His show? Not so good. But his stand up is very good. I'm mildly interested to see what Katt Williams will do with his special next week. I ti'Vo Cedric the Entertainers hour-long show from a while back and I was horribly disappointed.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

About a year ago, I saw an HBO hour special with Larry Miller. I post his picture, because he's one of those guys you'll say, "Hey, I've seen him."

[​IMG]

His last half-hour of this special was one bit ... about his introduction to skiing. It was one of the funniest things I have ever heard.

3. markvid

markvid Guest

Dane's special is on right now.

This is not funny.

4. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Ever see Miller's bit, shot, about the stages of inebriation?

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Sure have.

He's vastly underrated.

6. dog428

dog428 Active Member

The Kings of Comedy show will never be topped by any other stand-up comedy show ever.

Shotty, Miller is damn near a regular on Maher's show on HBO.

Cook sucks. How the guy ever got a show or a following is beyond me.

Lots of good comedians mentioned here. I'll give a few more:

Jerry Seinfeld -- somehow, he's managed to become underrated for his stand-up act, but it's very good.

Chris Rock -- his last effort didn't equal his first couple, but it was still damn funny.

Mitch Hedberg -- Yeah, he's dead, but his stuff is still great. Grab some stuff online somewhere, you will not be disappointed.

Rodney Carrington -- funniest Southern comedian around.

Ron White -- second funniest Southern comedian.

7. Hoo

Hoo Active Member

Larry Miller is great.

Salon nailed it: "From his sloppy college kid look to his avoidance of anything political, cultural or remotely critical, Cook aims at appealing to those vast numbers of kids who haven't really developed any interests yet, and are most of all focused on having fun with a big group of people."

And yeah, dude, you just don't GET Dave ...

8. Clubber_Slang

Clubber_Slang Active Member

I saw katt williams recently. he was better than I thought, but not great. his material isn't the best, but I like his whole persona, the pimp get up and the way he delivers his stuff.

As for Rodney Carrington: I sat through one of his shows before. Worst comedy show I've ever been to. Ick.

A dude I saw at the Comedy Store in L.A. who blew me away was Al Madrigal. His style was great. He didn't really stop at all for laughs, he just told these stories like he just guzzled a 12-pack of red bull (or snorted a few lines). It was only a 10-minute thing and it was great. I saw his comedy central show ... it was OK. But you know how those 1/2 hour things can be. I wanna see his full show.

A couple of dudes I saw recently who surprised me: Ralphie May and Gabriel Iglesias. Being from "Last Comic Standing" I didn't think they'd be that great. But seeing them at a regular show was much better, they surprised me. Not the best. But better than Mr. Cook.

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Wow, other Izzard people on here. Excellent.

However, I'm not sure he can top Bill Hicks. The man was a god in Britain whn he routinely killd at the Edinburgh festval, with most of his specials - Relentless etc. - being shown on our equvalent of Fox. Between him, Leary, who gets no respect for how great a stand-up he was through No Cure for Cancer and Lock 'N' Load now that he's gone on to doing great, underappreciated work on TV, Izzard and Rock, those are the guys I grew up memorizing the shows from.

Killer bits: "Marion Barry": Rock, Bring the Pain. Don't vote for crack, vote for smack!

Hicks: Jim Fix and Yul Brynner. "Where's [Fix's] commercial? 'My name is Jim Fix, and I am dead now and I don't know what the fuck happened'...."

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Great call on Leary. With his success on screen, you tend to forget that he's turned out some of the best stand-up moments of the last 20 years, topped by "No Cure For Cancer."

11. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

I was wondering how long it'd be until ol' Willie's name came up.

Right up at the top with Pryor and Carlin in my book.

12. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Yup. Took just under an hour from the time I bought "Morning Wood" to the time I sold it back to the store.

Complete and utter garbage.

Draft saved Draft deleted